New water help

sta

May 17, 2021
Louisville, OH
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have an intex-type pool, 5500 gallons. Was filled 2 days ago and on the first night I added calcium hypochlorite, saw my chlorine levels were good in the morning but by the end of the day were non-existent. Then I found this forum and spend hour reading and realizing how under prepared I am, and that without a stabilizer this will keep happening. I bought a TF100 kit yesterday, so hopefully that will get me going in the right direction, but that won't be here until next week.

I am going to be out of town for 5 days (see, underprepared, who has pool water delivered and then leaves town?!?). What do I need to do before I go, if anything? Add some stabilizer and more calcium hypochlorite? The water is pretty cold (65F) and I plan to have the debris cover on and the pump running on a timer, so maybe nothing is an option? All I have now are basic test strips that make it appear I have too-high PH & alkalinity, and almost no chlorine. I have trichlor tabs in a floater but my guess is those aren't doing much.

I am worried I am going to return to an unfixable algae disaster next week. Any thoughts or suggestions are very welcome and appreciated.

Do what we never recommend unless going on vacation.. :)

Get a tablet feeder floater and put 2, 3 inch tabs in it.. Go on vacation and when your return pull the feeder post up your TF100 numbers..

The best thing you have done is found us early in your pool journey :)

Reactions: Sunnydaze
Do what we never recommend unless going on vacation.. :)

Get a tablet feeder floater and put 2, 3 inch tabs in it.. Go on vacation and when your return pull the feeder post up your TF100 numbers..

The best thing you have done is found us early in your pool journey :)
Thanks - too bad I couldn't find those 3" tabs anywhere, only the 1" ones, but I'll figure out how many and cross my fingers that I can start working on good healthy water when I get back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.