Walnutport, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Well, the deposit check has been cashed. So I guess it's time to start this thread!

We are located in the Allentown area of PA (actual town is Walnutport which is a bit north). We've been debating a pool for about 2 years now. When we originally got estimates then, we wanted all the things. Stamped concrete, waterfalls, pop jets, sundecks, you name it! Then we got the first estimate back and almost passed out. Realized it was out of our budget. So then we scaled back. What is it that we really NEED in a pool to fit us? Can we cut back a bit and actually get a pool? We started again this summer getting estimates. We got about 8 estimates from various PB's. Some awful from the start, one who admitted their electrician isn't licensed (but no big deal :unsure: ) and some pretty good. Our neighbor has a pool - installed 30 years ago. We were chatting with him and he gave us the PB - Lehigh Valley Pools (Don Hall). He came up in our initial search, but I passed him off quickly as it looked like he didn't update his website since 1989. Lots of Grecians and white steps, which isn't my style. But we decided to reach out anyway. He wound up coming over the next night, and he was great. His concrete guy is 75 years old. 75! And has been with him for 33 years. Everything is in house - he owns his own equipment, etc. But, he's retiring from building this year. Will still service pools, just not build. Although he tends to be a bit old school, he was open to doing what I wanted. I will be his first (and last, ha!) grey fiberglass step. Anyway, enough about that...

It's very early and we don't even have the schematic yet. But figured I'd start the thread to add to as we move along. Tentative dig date is early October. Please don't mind my amazing drawing skills on the photo below.

18x26ish double roman
Grey liner from Pocono Pool Products (Brighton Print, no tile border)
11' Grey fiberglass steps in each curve
4' shallow end, 6' deep end
Hayward pump and SWCG (unsure of specs on these yet, but will update)
Safety cover
Robot cleaner (have an email in to Margaret from Marina)
Saw cut concrete for decking (no white plastic things)
Cantilever coping
One standard white light
Wiring for a heater, but not installing one just yet
DE filter, VS pump

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickinvic
Good luck with the build. Hopefully you will get things done before winter arrives.

I don't see type of filter mentioned.
Get all Jandy valves.
Get a VS pump.

Run the equipment details by us once you figure them out.

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
Here it is!!! Lets get this party started!!!

Adding to what Allen said make sure there are unions on either side of all equipment for ease of service and replacement when needed.

LOL LOVE the baby pool right by were the grown up pool will be going!!

Looking ahead-check on the codes for any gates for the pretty fence. Some say latches need to be ??" high, gate be self closing and locking. Door and window alarms are also something to check into. Don't want to hold any thing up waiting for those if you neede them.

Kim:kim:

Here it is!!! Lets get this party started!!!

Adding to what Allen said make sure there are unions on either side of all equipment for ease of service and replacement when needed.

LOL LOVE the baby pool right by were the grown up pool will be going!!

Looking ahead-check on the codes for any gates for the pretty fence. Some say latches need to be ??" high, gate be self closing and locking. Door and window alarms are also something to check into. Don't want to hold any thing up waiting for those if you neede them.

Kim:kim:

We installed the fence about 2 years ago when we moved here - it is all pool grade (we checked when we installed it :D)

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
Good luck with the build. Hopefully you will get things done before winter arrives.

I don't see type of filter mentioned.
Get all Jandy valves.
Get a VS pump.

Run the equipment details by us once you figure them out.

A DE filter and a VS pump - I do know we have those! More to come!

Well, he is NOT using a VS pump. I just emailed him to confirm, and he said this "not recommended as they screw up the flow for the heat pump and salt system to work properly". UGH. He uses a single speed Hayward.

Of course, he'll use whatever we want. I'll be the first to admit he's an old school builder. Still important to push for a VS though, yes? We aren't getting a spa, waterfalls, jets, etc., but will have a SWCG (and will be plumbed for a heater).

What will your PB do once all pool pumps over 1HP are required to be VS beginning in July, 2021?

Are you going to have automation? Automation makes it easier to synch up the proper pump RPM with the devices running like your SWG or future heater.

Even without automation you can get a flow rate set in a VS pump that satisfies the other equipment and gives you energy savings over a SS pump.

He is retiring from building at the end of this year (he's 72 years old). No automation.

What Hayward VS do you like? I'm not going to give him an option - but always like an exact model to send.

What will your PB do once all pool pumps over 1HP are required to be VS beginning in July, 2021?

Are you going to have automation? Automation makes it easier to synch up the proper pump RPM with the devices running like your SWG or future heater.

Even without automation you can get a flow rate set in a VS pump that satisfies the other equipment and gives you energy savings over a SS pump.

PS - thanks for that link!

What Hayward VS do you like? I'm not going to give him an option - but always like an exact model to send.

The Hayward Ecostar pool pumps do NOT have a good reputation here. A search will find many folks with premature failures and drive problems.

I don't have a good answer for a Hayward pump. I prefer Pentair pumps.

@JamesW or @Jimrahbe may have some suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The 2.7 Tristar might be a good choice for you. Definitely get automation. Omnilogic, Prologic or Aquaplus.

Well, he is NOT using a VS pump. I just emailed him to confirm, and he said this "not recommended as they screw up the flow for the heat pump and salt system to work properly". UGH. He uses a single speed Hayward.

Of course, he'll use whatever we want. I'll be the first to admit he's an old school builder. Still important to push for a VS though, yes? We aren't getting a spa, waterfalls, jets, etc., but will have a SWCG (and will be plumbed for a heater).
I'm in the minority on these boards but I wouldn't spend the extra money for a VS pump. If you run your pump year round it's an easy decision to get one. But if you'll only be open 3-4 months out of the year it can take a long time to break even. If you want one for green reasons get one but if it's a money savings issue then I'd look into it more.

Have you considered a 2 speed pump? My PB fought me on my choice of pump bc he too only put one speed pumps in and an in-line chlorination system. He recommends running the pump 24-7 all summer long. I paid $100 extra and upgraded to a dual speed pump and love it. We also had him run a SWCG too, which he balked at me about. This is my 4th pool and I knew exactly what I wanted. We run the pump on high when we have pool parties, otherwise, it’s on low.

I'm in the minority on these boards but I wouldn't spend the extra money for a VS pump
Yeah, me, too. I really like the payback time of a 2 speed over the expense of a VS.

But, I am not a HUGE fan of automation. either. I know it is the trend and I know it is great ------when it works!

Update: meeting with the PB tonight for our first 'real' deposit.

Going to ask/add the following:
-grey accessories (skimmers, returns)
-talk more about a VS pump vs a single speed
-doing a break in the decking so that we can stain it another color. I'm not sure what the correct term for this is - example pic below:
Capture.JPG

Our fence installers are here today (we've had the fence for 3 years now) to take sections out and move gates around. We have 4 marker flags in our yard for the local township inspector. I ordered Arlo cameras (arriving Tuesday) so that I can stalk the pool build while at work :mrgreen: Ordered the test kit just now also.

It has begun!

• Love
Reactions: kimkats and JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.