New variable speed pump tripping breaker

SirSwimAlot

Jun 1, 2016
East Coast
I just had a Supermax VS 1.5HP professionally installed to replace my Hayward 1HP of 15 or so years (bought the house 5 years ago no idea of real age).

The new pump keeps tripping the dual 20A breaker every few hours. I called the company who installed it and they said I have to hire an electrician to look at the issue.

I can see the pump is rated for 13A max and I never had a problem with the old pump.

There appears to be nothing else on the circuit.

Any ideas? They want me to hire my own electrician to solve it.

guinness

May 3, 2019
California
If the OP has a GFCI breaker some are more susceptible to tripping than others (like the Pentair CB)

Last edited:

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Sir,

Wait...

If I read your post correctly, your original pump was running off of a standard 20 amp 2-pole breaker and not a GFCI breaker.. Is this true?

If so, and your old pump was working fine, then the problem has to be the new pump.. It has nothing to do with a GFCI issue.

If your original set up had a 20 AMP GFCI breaker, then it is possible that you just need to change the breaker.

Tell us what kind of breaker is in there right now...

Thanks,

Jim R.

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
The Siemens equivament DP 20Amp GFCI breaker is identical to the pentair breaker; only delta are the rebranding names...

To the OP,

What type of breaker were you running with the older pump?
What type of breaker is running the new VSP?
Did the installers change anything else from the original pump?
What type of service panel do you have [where your breakers are installed}?

Let us know these answers and we'll go from there