New variable speed pump questions, recommendations

Tapio

Aug 17, 2015
San Diego, CA
Here is yet another pump recommendation question. I had a pool repair guy out to fix my heater and I asked him about what he thought might be a good replacement for my old 2 HP single speed Sta Rite pump. He thought Hayward would just brake down in a year and recommended Pentair or Starite/Pentair. Which model was not discussed. The Sta Rite may possibly fit better to the old plumbing intake height than Pentair Intelliflow models but I am not sure. So I what would your recommendations be based on real life experience? There is also the Jacuzzi brand that Leslie's started to carry some time ago. I will continue to use our air switch control from the spa and use the built in programming on the pump. So no fancy controllers to connect.

chiefwej

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 12, 2011
Tucson
The general consensus it that the Pentair Intelliflo is the gold standard in VS pumps.

1poolman1

In The Industry
Jul 14, 2014
Sacramento
You can't go wrong with the Pentair/StaRite pumps. I would avoid the Jacuzzi. You WILL NOT be able to use your air switch with a VSP, they do not operate like a single-speed pump.

Oly

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2017
Fresno, CA
Pool Size
With your equipment, the Pentair Intelliflo would be my choice. You will be amazed how quiet it runs and all the run time / speed options it has.