New user first opening of pool

tank47

Bronze Supporter
Apr 28, 2019
NJ
First pool opening and did a water test. I plugged it all into the pool math app so I was planning on just following those directions but thought I would post here as well in case there are any other suggestions. I have a fiberglass pool about 17500 gallons including spa. FYI pool company opened and added some shock to clear up pool initially but it has been a couple weeks since then. I have a SWG and 10 bags of salt but it’s been too cold for that to work yet.

Results
CH: 175 - says to add 16lbs calcium chloride
CYA: 0 - says to add 177oz dry stabilizer
FC: 0 - says to add 74 oz of 6% bleach
PH: 7.8
TA: 90

Do the amounts sound right? Does it matter how to add and which first? Space it out? Also any recommendation on pool pump settings? I have a VSP. I’m planning to pick up some liquid chlorine and dry stabilizer from Walmart today and then go to pool store for MA. With COVID-19 I’m obviously trying to limit my trips out so any advice on any other supplies I should pick up for routine summer maintenance? Pool company was saying all I need is a 25lb tub of shock and just add as needed but I realize opinions differ and I’d rather use the advice of this forum. You have all been excellent so far with your help and I thank you!

*Edit - I should add that I noticed some slight accumulation of green/brown on the sides and steps which is probably the start of algae. Do I start with a SLAM?

Last edited:
Welcome back to TFP. :wave: So green , even slightly, means there is some residual algae. Time to do the SLAM Process now while the water is still chilly. So here's your Rx:
- Lower pH to about 7.2 (muriatic acid)
- Add stabilizer for CYA target of 30
- Increase FC to "12" using liquid chlorine/regular bleach.

Don't add any calcium at this time. We'll discuss that more later after the SLAM.

Follow the SLAM Process guidance and you'll do fine. Make sure to brush often, clean the filter when it increases in psi by 25%, and maintain that FC of 12 as best as you can until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Good luck!

Welcome back to TFP. :wave: So green , even slightly, means there is some residual algae. Time to do the SLAM Process now while the water is still chilly. So here's your Rx:

Don't add any calcium at this time. We'll discuss that more later after the SLAM.

Follow the SLAM Process guidance and you'll do fine. Make sure to brush often, clean the filter when it increases in psi by 25%, and maintain that FC of 12 as best as you can until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Good luck!
Thank you! I'm on it and will report back!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Ok pool cleared up pretty quick. I did a FC test and it was at 12 this am which was my goal yesterday. I think I’m ready for next step tomorrow. I will test again tonight for FC and TC to make sure I passed the three steps of SLAM before moving on. Meanwhile pump is going 24/7.

Ok here are the results from this morning. It looks like I passed the OCLT and pool looks great. So I think I’m done with the SLAM process. What’s next to get pool balanced? I have fiberglass with SWG but not ready to turn that on until temps are consistently 65. I have all the salt, is it ok to pour that in and mix around? Pump still going 24/7 full speed, can I bring that down to a mid speed and not 24/7?

FC - 13
TC - .5
TA - 110
CH - 175
CYA - 30
Temp - 53
CSI - (-0.65)

New end of day results:

FC - 12.5
TC - 0.5
TA - 80 (must have been a bad test earlier)
Temp - 53
CSI - (-0.8)

I guess the FC will drift down over time. I figure no testing PH until FC drops. So what next? Drive CH up? Wait until FC drops a bit to drive up CYA? Dump the salt in and start brushing it around? Jump in and see what 53 degrees feels like?

Ok here are my latest results from today:

FC - 9.0
CC - 0.5
pH - 7.2
TA - 70 (this seems to be fluctuating slightly from test to test. Could be user error)
CH - 200 (this was holding steady at 175 for a couple days and now it's 200. Could be user error again)
CYA - 20 (this was 0, I brought up to roughly 30, and now it's down to 20)
CSI - (-0.76)

Pool math says to do the following:

CH - add 16 lbs to get to a target of 300
CYA - add 8 lbs 2 oz to get to a target of 75

Is there a preferred order?

tank, great work! :goodjob: Somehow I missed your last couple posts, but you're doing well. Since the water is still cold, continue to manage it as a non-salt pool until you're ready to turn on the SWG. As a non-salt pool with cold water, you can keep the CYA much lower for now (30-40) and use less liquid chlorine. See the FC/CYA Levels Let the pH slowly rise to the upper 7s which will keep the water in great balance.

Congrats on passing your SLAM! :goodjob:

Reactions: tank47
Pool math says to do the following:

CH - add 16 lbs to get to a target of 300
CYA - add 8 lbs 2 oz to get to a target of 75

For either of those targets, add 1/2 of the recommended amount and test again. Both can be added at the same time.

It's early in the year, so you don't have to get to CYA of 70-80 immediately and doing it in stages may work better. IE, shoot for going fom 20 to 40, then 40 to 60, and finally to 70.

I can't find the link to the new tool for recommended chemical levels, but you may want to double check the CH level you need in your pool. Recent changes have lowered the recommendations in some cases. Not all pool school articles or wiki pages have been updated to reflect the new recommendations.

Reactions: tank47

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tank, great work! :goodjob: Somehow I missed your last couple posts, but you're doing well. Since the water is still cold, continue to manage it as a non-salt pool until you're ready to turn on the SWG. As a non-salt pool with cold water, you can keep the CYA much lower for now (30-40) and use less liquid chlorine. See the FC/CYA Levels Let the pH slowly rise to the upper 7s which will keep the water in great balance.

Congrats on passing your SLAM! :goodjob:
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like a plan!

Reactions: Texas Splash
For either of those targets, add 1/2 of the recommended amount and test again. Both can be added at the same time.

It's early in the year, so you don't have to get to CYA of 70-80 immediately and doing it in stages may work better. IE, shoot for going fom 20 to 40, then 40 to 60, and finally to 70.

I can't find the link to the new tool for recommended chemical levels, but you may want to double check the CH level you need in your pool. Recent changes have lowered the recommendations in some cases. Not all pool school articles or wiki pages have been updated to reflect the new recommendations.
That makes sense. I’ll focus on CH first on a gradual basis. Thank you!

Reactions: gonfishin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.