TFP Guide
Oct 20, 2017
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I used to be into high end (OK maybe upper middle end) audio gear. McIntosh amps, Sennheiser headphones, etc. I used to be one of those people that read the reviews in Stereo Magazine and Audiophile, A/B test different components in the store, both with the same and different items in the mix, concern myself about the room acoustics and differences in listening distances causing out of phase effects, and all sorts of stuff like that (and it eventually extended to car audio, with calculating, engineering, and building sealed and ported subwoofer enclosures, full speaker swap outs, custom tweeter mounts, separate amps and head ends, power filters, etc).

Now I use an Alexa to stream music, or my hot tub speakers, or an old pair of dry rotted Advent speakers in the shop, or over 3 sets of dual drive in movie theater speakers in the yard (OK, those are pretty cool, but they are not even close to audiophile grade, I just cut out the built in potentiometers, and threw Mylar speakers in them - but they do get a good amount of attention when people see them for the first time)

What I have learned is that unless I am in a listening room, actively listening to music, a middle of the road set up is just fine. I no longer worry about bit rates, uncompressed streams, sound pressure levels, etc. If I can hear it, and hear it clearly, it's all good for me.
Yeah I’m no audiophile myself, but I have my first decent pair of speakers connected to our TV and it makes a HUGE difference vs the built in speakers. I’ve got plans to build my own set of good quality surround sound speakers for the TV. And I’d like something nice for chilling in the pool. For the hot tub, pretty much anything works. Currently we just use a portable Bluetooth battery speaker, and eventually when I hook up a Bluetooth radio connected to the built in hot tub speakers. Otherwise the few other times I listen to music is generally at work with a pair of Bluetooth Bose QC headphones streaming from YouTube Music on my phone.

Speakers make the biggest difference IMO, you’d need a quite place and active listening to make a higher quality source worth something other than streaming. For a hot tub with the loud jets almost anything will work cause you just won’t get close to any sort of ideal listening condition to make it worth the effort of something else.

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
We got a pair of Bluetooth rock speakers from Bjs/Costco for the pool. (They both sell them every summer) With all the commotion of a swim day with guests, it was a similar non need of quality sound and they are amazing for $150.

The cool part was anybody could link to them, fire up their playlist and toss their phone on the table while we all had tunes.

phonedave

May 30, 2012
Montville NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I'm thinking a picture is in order..
Set one (and for those who ask, that blue cigar looking thing in the background is how my solar cover gets stored for the winter. The hot tub is the brown cover in the foreground.

2021-10-21_12-54-51.jpg

Set 2 -slightly different make than the first set. I put these in about 2 years before I built the fire pit area. I may relocate these over to that area. The hot tub from the first picture is behind where I am standing to take this pitcure
2021-10-21_12-55-14.jpg

Set 3 - On the deck, almost directly above picture 2
2021-10-21_12-55-53.jpg

When people first see them, they ask "are those drive in movie speakers?" When I say yes, the next question is "do they work". Then I take out my phone and fire them up, and then the questions around how I got them, how did I hook them up, etc. start

The housings are original, the speakers inside them are new. The feed comes up the center of the pole, and then out to the speakers. They can still be removed from the pole and hung on a car window (or anything else) if you drove into my backyard.

A.O.

Apr 12, 2016
Kershaw, South Carolina
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Set one (and for those who ask, that blue cigar looking thing in the background is how my solar cover gets stored for the winter. The hot tub is the brown cover in the foreground.

View attachment 378995

Set 2 -slightly different make than the first set. I put these in about 2 years before I built the fire pit area. I may relocate these over to that area. The hot tub from the first picture is behind where I am standing to take this pitcure
View attachment 378997

Set 3 - On the deck, almost directly above picture 2
View attachment 378999

When people first see them, they ask "are those drive in movie speakers?" When I say yes, the next question is "do they work". Then I take out my phone and fire them up, and then the questions around how I got them, how did I hook them up, etc. start

The housings are original, the speakers inside them are new. The feed comes up the center of the pole, and then out to the speakers. They can still be removed from the pole and hung on a car window (or anything else) if you drove into my backyard.
HA!! those bring back some old memories!