Barrie, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
So we have our tub being delivered on Monday. Very excited to finally get it, and just in time for fall!

We have a salt water pool with the Intellichlor and things have gone mostly smooth for the summer.

Bromine is the “de facto” standard for spa’s, but since we have a chlorine pool should we stick with chlorine for the tub?

Are salt water systems worth it? While it’s worked great for the pool, I’m concerned we might overproduce in the spa between uses?

Being in Canada, what does the “bromide ban” really mean for us?

Congrats on the tub! I always thought it smarter to have a standalone spa instead of in-pool spa. I like the idea of all that contoured, comfy, fiberglass seating goodness and "surround sound" jets blasting you all over!! With an in-pool you get a concrete bench and maybe one of the six jets if you get in first.

What say you @cowboycasey? Or do we have a Canadian bromine expert?

Reactions: cowboycasey
I and many other have switched to salt water chlorine in hot tubs... It works great, you just have to use the same levels as a fiberglass pool....

Take your CYA to 70/80
Add salt to the level of salt cell
wait 24 hours and drop cell in water..

your free chlorine should be between 4 to 7, the CYA protects it and works great..

So far most people are getting the Saltron Mini but I am not sure if you can get it up there...

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Dirk
That does help, thanks.

I travel to the US on a regular basis, so I can get things even if they’re not available in Canada. That’s how I got my fantastic TF-100.

Why are we adding CYA to a tub that will almost never see sunlight?

I have the pool at CYA around 70 and keep FC around 5. Works a treat. Crystal water, it’s great.

How long do you normally run the cell? My concern is over-production when the tub goes a while without use. Without being used, and no UV chlorine would just keep being produced?

I only go up to 30 cya in the tub.
u need some cya to reduce the harshness of the chlorine- it also allows your chlorine to start out higher so it doesn’t hit zero during use.
I follow the dichlor then bleach method (augmented w/ the saltron mini)
Its a sticky @ the top of this forum
How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

I have my saltron mini on a timer so its not just one big dose (2hrs 3xs/day )- in my 200 gal tub i do a total of 6 hrs in cool weather & 4 during the summer. I hardly ever need to use bleach unless we’re in for a while or have a large bather load. Most times i just hit the swg button again. I go to shock level with dichlor every couple weeks or so to replenish my cya due to splashout & degradation.
If I’m gonna be away (vacation) i may turn it down a little

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Dirk
Nobody has mentioned it yet but you really should clean and purge the plumbing in your new spa before filling it.
:stirpot: Yes, best to clean the pot thorougly before you make your people stew. Once clean, bring the water to a rolling boil, add people and then the secret ingredient (tequila), simmer for 1 hour, then let cool! Molto Bene!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.