New to this

Yes. Test results are a separate entry. Just be sure to touch the check mark in the upper right of the data entry screen to save the test results.
I have uploaded my results. The chlorine level is with the test sample barely turning a pinkish color. CYA I put as 20 have my color is never cloudy enough to loose the black dot (if I am doing it correctly, I watch the Taylor video with every test).

I suggest your re-do the FC test. 0.2 is not a possible number following the directions.

Okay. With the 10 ml sample, I got one. After adding the R003 for CC, I only got a very faint pink, with 2 drops of R0871 making in it = 1. Does this sound correct?

Brandy Hi and welcome, You've come to the right place and will have your perfect pool in short order. You mentioned earlier you've ordered MA (muratic acid). Do you know what strength, was it 14% or 34.5? Since your PH is on the high side I'd knock it down to 7.4 for now with the amount poolmath gives you. Make sure you enter the proper strength to get the right calculations and then split that amount in 2. Dump the first one in and recheck 30 minutes later and re figure so you don't overshoot. You also need to check on the FC 30 minutes later to be sure what you put in is there and not eaten by algae. I'd recommend you follow pool-school for OCLT to be sure nothing is consuming the chlorine.

Brandy Hi and welcome, You've come to the right place and will have your perfect pool in short order. You mentioned earlier you've ordered MA (muratic acid). Do you know what strength, was it 14% or 34.5? Since your PH is on the high side I'd knock it down to 7.4 for now with the amount poolmath gives you. Make sure you enter the proper strength to get the right calculations and then split that amount in 2. Dump the first one in and recheck 30 minutes later and re figure so you don't overshoot. You also need to check on the FC 30 minutes later to be sure what you put in is there and not eaten by algae. I'd recommend you follow pool-school for OCLT to be sure nothing is consuming the chlorine.
I ordered Acid Magic liquid, not sure what strength it is.

Acid magic, from what I have read, is full strength, 31.45% . And really expensive. If you end up not needing much acid, then great. But if you need to add acid regularly, Home Depot should have 2 gallons of 31.45% for about $12.

Reactions: BrandyK
Sounds correct. You need to add liquid chlorine, now. FC/CYA Levels
So I retested chlorine levels just now with a 10ml sample. Both test are only taking one drop. So 0.5 and 0.5?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A CYA of 20 is far too low for Texas. Add stabilizer to get CYA to 40 ppm.

Then raise your FC to target range for 40 ppm CYA - FC/CYA Levels.

Then each day, test FC and add enough liquid chlorine to raise it back to the Target Range.

With your FC being so low, it will be best to do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test one of the next few nights.

Not sure why my chlorine is lower than yesterday. Do I need to add more than the recommended on the calculator?
A CYA of 20 is far too low for Texas. Add stabilizer to get CYA to 40 ppm.

Then raise your FC to target range for 40 ppm CYA - FC/CYA Levels.

Then each day, test FC and add enough liquid chlorine to raise it back to the Target Range.

With your FC being so low, it will be best to do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test one of the next few nights.
I saw the oclt test mentioned in a previous response and did read about it. I wasn’t sure if I needed to correct the Ph prior to that test. I need to grab more stabilizer and have 2 12 hours shifts coming up. Is it safe to continue adding chlorine until Friday?

I would recommend you forget the OCLT and just do a slam only after your PH is brought to 7.2 and you add some CYA as was advised before. I'm pretty sure you have the beginning of an algae bloom. Arm yourself with some liquid chlorine as the slam will use some. also know where you can run to grab some more in case the need arises in the slam process.

Reactions: BrandyK
Sure. At your low FC rates, do not be surprised if you have an algae issue and will need to SLAM Process
Okay. I just added the 2nd half of muriatic acid after the 1st half dropped to 7.8. I checked the FC level at the sam time and it was up to 4.5. Stabilizer will be here tomorrow. I won’t be home until after 8 so won’t be able to get much done. I will at least try to check the FC level. I will stock up on bleach Friday afternoon and retest everything.

So I added dry stabilizer yesterday evening. It didn’t completely dissolve until late this morning. I went ahead and tested the CYA again this evening and got 30 (I think). I read to check 24 hours after the dose is fully dissolved, so will check again in the morning.
Chlorine was at 0 again earlier today. I did see some spots that may have been algae on the bottom. I went ahead and brushed the sides and floor, and did stir up some cloudiness off the bottom.
I know it’s best to start the slam at 40 CYA. But I have started upping the chlorine. Please tell me this is okay.
Also, i see I should be vacuuming more frequently. But do I just leave it in the filter as it says not to backwash for a week after adding stabilizer? And will the increased chlorine have any impact on the CYA level in the morning?

As long as the CYA is at 30, SLAM. Start now. Add chlorine to get to 16 ppm FC (based on 40 ppm CYA) Check tomorrow and adjust.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.