New to this

decon

Mar 25, 2020
Fresno CA
Just bought a house with a pool. Has a DE filter. So far from youtube I've discovered there is going to be a backwash of the DE and then a recharge of the DE. IMG_20200408_155838.jpg
I know the t handle closest to the filter it what I pull to backwash (unless I'm wrong and please correct me if I am).
IMG_20200408_155741.jpg
Not really sure what I do with this during the backwash procedure. Any infor on this valve would help. IMG_20200408_155801.jpg
Another picture of you need it.
IMG_20200331_173125.jpg
Any information I should know about this filter and how to maintain it would be appreciated. IMG_20200408_155655.jpg
Right now if have a floater with 3 inch chlorine tablets with the pump running two times a day for a total of 4 hours. I'm adding some water to bring it up to the water line. I hear the liquid chlorine is the way to go. I just moved in on thursday. I am really looking forward to taking care of this pool myself. I remember helping my Dad as a kid but we had a regular filter not a DE one. I'm like a sponge ready to absorb any and all information.

Thanks

Decon

D,

You can only backwash a few times and then you will need to open the filter and thoroughly clean it inside. Backwashing only removes about 90% of the DE, so every time you backwash, you leave more and more dirty DE.

To backwash you have to pull up or push down, depending on your specific valve. Once you put the valve in the backwash position, you run your pump for 5 minutes or so.. If you can see the backwash output, you just run it until it is clear.

You would normally do this with the skimmer full open and the cleaner off..

After you backwash, you will need to add DE into your skimmer. The amount you add is based upon your specific filter. Look on your filter or find the manual for your filter.

Do not add dry DE to your skimmer. Add all the DE you plan to add in a 5 gallon bucket, then add water to almost fill the bucket. Stir into a slurry and then, with the pump running (Filter in filter position not backwash) slowly pour the slurry into the skimmer basket.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: decon
D,

You can only backwash a few times and then you will need to open the filter and thoroughly clean it inside. Backwashing only removes about 90% of the DE, so every time you backwash, you leave more and more dirty DE.

To backwash you have to pull up or push down, depending on your specific valve. Once you put the valve in the backwash position, you run your pump for 5 minutes or so.. If you can see the backwash output, you just run it until it is clear.

You would normally do this with the skimmer full open and the cleaner off..

After you backwash, you will need to add DE into your skimmer. The amount you add is based upon your specific filter. Look on your filter or find the manual for your filter.

Do not add dry DE to your skimmer. Add all the DE you plan to add in a 5 gallon bucket, then add water to almost fill the bucket. Stir into a slurry and then, with the pump running (Filter in filter position not backwash) slowly pour the slurry into the skimmer basket.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks.
Just to clarify, I turn the 3 way valve to skimmer when doing the backwash. Do I turn it back to clean when I add the DE using a 5 gallon bucket and leave it on clean for normal use. What is the suction position for?

Thanks

Decon

Not knowing the history of the pool and the prior owner's maintenance habits, I would do a full tear-down and cleaning. It will give you an opportunity to inspect the manifolds and grids for cracks and tears. You can find an owners' manual online, probably on Pentair's site.

That aside, just a couple of notes. Make a note of the filter pressure now. When you're done, note the pressure. When it rises by 25%, it's time to clean again. Make sure the valves are in like positions when you take your readings.

You'll probably get a good season out of a cleaning. If it rises quickly, you know something is going on.

The pool looks beautiful. Ready for a good Covid19-Staycation. Best wishes!

Last edited:
D,

Normally you would run a pool with just the skimmer and only turn on the vacuum when you wanted to use it.

If you add DE while your valve is set to cleaner, then none of the DE will get sucked into the skimmer.

If you leave your valves as they are in your pic, only a small amount of skimmer water is being used. It will take forever for the DE to get from the skimmer to the filter.

Suction is the input to the pump... both the skimmer and cleaner are suction lines. NEVER turn the "off" mark on the handle towards the pump.. That will shut off all water coming into the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.