New to this . Numbers just tested with Taylor kit. Water is still cloudy with small amounts of algae

Welcome to the forum!
If you have algae you need to SLAM Process. Raise your FC to shock level as shown in FC/CYA Levels. Maintain that FC level until you pass all three criteria described in the SLAM article. Use liquid chlorine to raise your FC.

Please fill out your signature.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Using liquid shock vs ganular
Yes.

Cal-hypo shock will leave a lot of residual Calcium. You may not need that. Dichlor and Trichlor both leave behind a lot of CYA. Yours is already where you want it; raising CYA just means you will need even higher levels of FC. And if you add it using dichlor or trichlor you'll end up in an endless spiral.

Liquid chlorine only leaves salt behind.
Be careful to only buy plain sodium hypochlorite-- not splashles, no fabric guards, no scents. It's getting hard to find in the laundry aisle. Go look in the pool section at the big box stores for pool chlorine.

Thanks a lot . Only finding 6% here. Follow up. Shocked the pool and it started to clear. Vacuumed out what looked to be dead algae . It all looked better and 4 hours later what I vacuumed up was back on pool bottom . Sand filter. What else do you need to know? Great site!

Thanks a lot . Only finding 6% here. Follow up. Shocked the pool and it started to clear. Vacuumed out what looked to be dead algae . It all looked better and 4 hours later what I vacuumed up was back on pool bottom . Sand filter. What else do you need to know? Great site!

This is not what you vacuumed. I have have the same issue. The vacuuming motion with a traditional vacuum head stirs up the dead algae. Then it over time settles back to the bottom. The best method I've found for vacuuming this is to use just the hose or a long tube, and hover above the fine dead algae at the bottom with the suction end of the tube. Make as little disturbance in the water as you can as you move through it vacuuming it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.