New to the forum and new to pool ownership

Apr 25, 2017
Buffalo/new york
Hello everyone, I'm having problems with my pool. First of all, I'm new to all of this. Last year I moved into my house and struggled all season to maintain my pool. Spent a lot of money at The pool store and It got worse. I couldn't maintain my free chlorine. This year I'm having the same problem but I stumbled upon your website. I just bought a k-2006 test kit. My numbers were

FC .2
CC .2
Ph 7.4
TA 90
CH 140
CYA 100

temperature 54

Welcome! :wave:

I predict great success with your pool this year. You've been reading, you filled out your signature, you bought a test kit, and you posted results! The one thing you omitted: How does the water look?

For sure the CYA is too high and you'll be happier in the long run if you replace some water now. Beyond that, it sorta depends on how the water looks and what test results you have after refilling and mixing.

As mentioned your CYA seems high but it could really be much higher, effecting the FC target. There is a test where you double the water and keep the same quantity of R-0013. Next, double the results you get. You my be surprised how high that CYA really is. Give it a try and post it. (.2 FC is way too low under most conditions)

P.S.
Lesson #1- Listen to these guys NOT the pool store sales people....Always

Collin,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners who can't get their chlorine up... :shark:

I assume that you have been chlorinating your pool using 3" chlorinated pucks.. Pucks work great at first, but as they release chlorine into your pool, they also release CYA. The chlorine gets used up, but the CYA continues to build up.

Once the CYA gets high enough, you almost can't put enough chlorine in your pool to make it work.

You say you have a CYA of 100, but that is as high as the test can go, so you may have a much higher CYA level.

As woody says, your only option at this point is to drain your pool.

Now is the time to think about how you plan to chlorinate your pool going forward..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.