New to TFP - water balance issues

I will be removing the chlorinator when I do the heater install. I think a SWG is definitely in my future, most likely early Spring 2021. I do have concerns about corrosion though as I have a limestone deck. I recall a SWG pool my father in law had that was always eating at the limestone deck/coping. Maybe water was out of balance? Will need to do some research on this.
All chlorinated pools become saltwater pools over time. Chlorine, acid and humans all leave salt behind. Not using an SWG will not save your deck from salt. Using an SWG is a huge convenience, might as well put the salt to work for you.

Any coping ending in "stone" can have problems (sandstone, flagstone, limestone). That's the water causing the problem, not the salt. They're all basically just compressed layers of sand, and the water works against whatever is holding the layers together. It's not the salt. There are treatments you can use on the stone if you start to see any delimitation or sandiness. Meanwhile, seal the stone and enjoy the SWG.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATX61
Probably not an issue when CYA/FC levels are properly maintained but that was not the case in late summer when high CYA levels caused chlorine lock and there was a ready source of algae.

This is it, right there. With a proper FC level, per your CYA (assuming the CYA is at a reasonable level), and ... assuming you run the waterfall on a regular basis ... you shouldn't have algae growth there.

I have my waterfall scheduled to run one hour a day, from 7pm - 8pm, and it hasn't shown any sign of algae. It's made from moss rock, so it's also very pitted with lots of holes and such.

This is it, right there. With a proper FC level, per your CYA (assuming the CYA is at a reasonable level), and ... assuming you run the waterfall on a regular basis ... you shouldn't have algae growth there.

I have my waterfall scheduled to run one hour a day, from 7pm - 8pm, and it hasn't shown any sign of algae. It's made from moss rock, so it's also very pitted with lots of holes and such.
Haven't been running waterfall on regular basis, need to start doing that.

Filter has been thoroughly cleaned and have been adding CYA. Just tested for CYA which is now at 35. Dosed pool with chlorine to get FC around 6. Will test for FC at sunset and perform OCLT. There was definitely evidence of green algae on the pool walls before the drain/fill but none in and around pool now. Did not see any evidence in the filter membranes/housing but still think I should perform OCLT.

I did see a lot of pitting in plaster when drained, suspect the pool service guys/previous owner did not monitor CH that closely and ran low CH over time. The fill water water is low in CH also. Pool was re-plastered less than 3 years ago. Tested for CH and and is at 150. I will need to get that increased soon.
OCLT results - FC was at 7 last night and at 6 this morning. I am going to skip the SLAM.

I have some 1 lb. bags of 68% Calcium Hypochlorite. Any issues with using these to maintain FC and raise CH? Or should I stick to liquid chlorine and use calcium chloride to raise CH?

You can use the cal hypo. Be sure it is fully dissolved. It can stain the pool surface if left to sit on it.

Reactions: ATX61
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.