New to TFP - New construction in CFL by Artesian Pools

ITR

Gold Supporter
Nov 8, 2014
Clermont, FL
Hey all,

We are in the progress of putting in a new pool after being in our house for 12 years now. The construction process is interesting, but a bit stressful. Feel free to follow along our time-lapse of the process:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNRYpyy3Gcy4PUPBrfhIYEg

We'd love to hear suggestions...

Specs:

Builder: Artesian Pools
Type: Gunite
Size: 29' x 21' free-form w/ spa
Heater: 300k BTU (LP)
Control: iAquaLink
Interior: Stonescapes Tropics Blue
Deck and coping: Travertine
Lighting: Pentair LED Glo-Brite

Welcome to TFP!

We always love to see new projects and how people design their pools/backyards/oasis.

This is the one place that can help you learn to "own" your pool and its water and in turn save a fortune on unneeded chemicals that pool stores love to sell.

Thanks for the welcome guys! Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the speed of the progress, but I guess having one guy does help with accountability (they are different subs and different guys, just generally one per job). This company has been doing pools for 39 years...so it's hard to argue the construction process with them. I am just hoping to be done by Christmas (the original goal was Halloween and has come and gone....). Question for you guys. The gunite still have a 7-foot 3-inch deep hole in the floor of the pool where rainwater washed it away. Is that "normal"? Or I guess a better question is...should I be concerned? I have pictures if that will help.

Also, should I be concerned if the tile grout doesn't go all the way down to the shell?

JB

As long as there isn't any rebar showing rust it should be able to just be filled in. If its rusted they will have to clean it first but then should be able to just fill it in.

On another note, what music is that playing with your time lapse videos. It is very calming.

I'm by no means at all an expert on gunite, as I'm practically in the same boat as you. However, I'm very surprised at that hole in the gunite. I'm shocked that rain water could do that. If I can recall, our gunite was hardened up enough so you could walk on it within an hour I bet after it was shot. Was it raining when they shot it?

That last picture looks like a hole they might have left on purpose for hydrostatic relief, but that long one I'm not sure about.

I bet it's a fairly easy fix, but I would hope it wasn't an indication of improper gunite mix? Don't read too much into this, as I'm virtually clueless...just guessing.

The strength of your shell is derived, in large part, from the steel matrix embedded in the gunite. All the holes and fissures can be fixed right before the plaster goes in. They will put in some quick-cure cement and then apply the plaster. While it doesn't look very appealing, you should have nothing to worry about. The final product will look and function perfectly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It depends on which video. All of it is royalty free. Which specific video are you referring to? I think I'm up to seven or eight of them.

As long as there isn't any rebar showing rust it should be able to just be filled in. If its rusted they will have to clean it first but then should be able to just fill it in.

On another note, what music is that playing with your time lapse videos. It is very calming.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it rained all night starting about an hour after the gunite was shot. They covered it with a tarp, but given the amount of rain, the tarp couldn't hold it. And you are right...they explained the large hole in the bottom is a "weep hole" give we have a high water level and they didn't want to risk the shell popping out. Fairly normal in FL I guess.

I'm by no means at all an expert on gunite, as I'm practically in the same boat as you. However, I'm very surprised at that hole in the gunite. I'm shocked that rain water could do that. If I can recall, our gunite was hardened up enough so you could walk on it within an hour I bet after it was shot. Was it raining when they shot it?

That last picture looks like a hole they might have left on purpose for hydrostatic relief, but that long one I'm not sure about.

I bet it's a fairly easy fix, but I would hope it wasn't an indication of improper gunite mix? Don't read too much into this, as I'm virtually clueless...just guessing.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't tell if it's a leaf or a piece of rebar in the groove at the top of that first picture.

It's a leaf. I also have a poor dead frog in the bottom since it rained again last night and there is about a foot of water back in the pool. Gotta love FL weather! Thanks everyone for the reply. Talking through these things is helping mine and the Mrs. stress greatly! :)

Tile Day 1 is Accralate and Tile Day 2 is Canon in D Major (both by Kevin MacLeod). BTW, love the handle. G19 and G22 lover myself!

Thanks. I am a dealer so I let a few hang around in my safe when they come in. I'll list the models just incase the admins take down the image. From 12 o'clock going clockwise: Gen3 G22 RTF2, Gen3 G23, Gen4 G20, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G17, Gen4 G26, Gen3 G21, Gen4 G19.
familysmall.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

A few updated videos...the latest one is: http://youtu.be/mXqBJyiq2iA

Wow, the decking and coping are really nice. Love the time lapse videos.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.