Fidesviva

May 26, 2019
Purcellville, va
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all! About 12 years ago we got an aboveground pool secondhand from a friend who was moving and was advised to remove the pool to improve their property value. So we schlepped all the bits and pieces from their place to ours and re-assembled. At the time, I never would have thought to buy a pool, and we certainly couldn't have afforded to buy everything from scratch. But I have and 18-foot round aboveground pool because that is what our friends had.
I love my little pool! (And frankly, it has always felt more "mine" than anyone else in my household, even when I still had kids at home.) It is round, and the return jet gets this lovely little current going - it is my own little Lazy River! I float in the middle and watch the sky rotate around me - so peaceful and relaxing!
Over the years, bits have failed, and we have slowly been replacing it all: repairs to the (rusted in places) sidewall; new liner; new pump; new ladder; replacement hoses; whole new pool. This year I am rehabbing the little wood entry platform and replacing the old sand filter - the valve head is getting leaky, and I noticed bits of fiberglass peeling off the inside of the filter body when deep cleaning the sand last year. The new one will arrive tomorrow.
The only other thing we inherited was the Softswim (biguanide) chemistry, and that conversion is underway! The Softswim was easy enough to deal with as far as the needed chemicals, except that there were always issues of one sort or another, and we usually got algae once or twice a season. I'm looking forward to a more trouble-free pool, now that this last one thing is almost done.
I was really glad to find the detailed instructions for the conversion. So far, so good! I hope to be swimming this weekend.
Thanks!
-Linda