rwarner

Apr 17, 2021
San Jose, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, I'm new to TFP. I had difficulty maintaining chlorine levels following my local pool store guidance, so due to what I read here, I ordered my own test kit, switched to liquid chlorine, and have started daily testing. I was using the pool store's weekly/monthly testing until now.

I was confused about SLAMing before and after coming to TFP, and struggled to find clarifying info. The pool store guidance was to SLAM every week ( granular ), and use biscuits to maintain throughout the week. By the end of the week, my biscuits had hardly dissolved and never seemed to maintain the chlorine level. It was always very low, sometimes 0. My CYA is 60. Furthermore, the way it was presented by the pool store, and by the pool product marketing at big box stores, it seems like SLAMing required a different product than your daily chlorinator.

After starting with TFP, the Pool Math app became an additional source of confusion. In the Free Chlorine section, I moved the slider to select SLAM. It increased the Target FC from 7 to 24, but at the same time added a warning "Your target is outside the recommended range!". But according to the Chlorine / CYA page, for a pool with CYA of 60, 24 is the recommended target FC level for SLAMing. I guess that just means recommended range for swimming.

While trying to understand all of this, I was exploring the Pool School and Pool Basic pages. That's were I found the Chlorine / CYA page, Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool . It mentions SLAM, but provides no guidance about when to do it, and didn't actually help to clarify my confusion about SLAM vs daily chlorine products.

When I finally resorted to using the search box for SLAM, I found the info I was looking for here: SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain - Trouble Free Pool , but it was multiple days of confusion to get here. So I feel here is some useful feedback, the Chlorine / CYA page should include a link to the SLAM page. With that, I would have found the info right away.

Thanks for this great resource. I'm off to continue with daily testing and adjustments, and to start having a trouble free pool.

Thanks.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Welcome to TFP. Glad you found us. There is lots of information here and it is difficult to organize it all.

You only need the SLAM Process for your pool when your pool fails the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. IT is not something you do on a regular basis.

Liquid chlorine or a SWG is the pool chlorination method we recommend.

Have you read ...

Reactions: rwarner

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Some also like some information in video form ---

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.