New to TFP and pool ownership

bwikel

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2019
North Alabama
Hello,
Just moved into a lake home with an infinity pool. Learning all the pool chemistry do's and don't. Just opened the pool the last week of June after refreshing the pool surface. The pool is concrete and has sat empty for 5+ years. It has been an experience getting both the water chemistry and water level balanced. It is running consistent now but still chasing a few minor leaks in the system.

I do have one question for the group. We are wanting to dress up the back side of the weir wall with something like stone, tile or faux stone panels. Anyone used any of these materials on an waterfall wall where the pool water runs over it to return to the catch basin? Suggestions, watch outs and so forth are welcome.

Hi and WELCOME!!!

I want to see a pic of this pool please! That will also help us know how to best answer your question about what to put there.

I am going to share a set of links I put together for new pool owners:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

These will give you a good base to work from while caring for your pool!

Kim:kim:

You could certainly tile all of that, as I think that is very common to do. Also note that those water jets are going to cause significant aeration and drive your pH up

You could certainly tile all of that, as I think that is very common to do. Also note that those water jets are going to cause significant aeration and drive your pH up
We would rather do some type of stone of faux stone than tile but tile may be the best option. The pump runs about 9 hours/day currently and the PH has been holding pretty firm between 7.2 and 7.4 using one chlorine tab in the skimmer, 1 lb of shock and 1 lb. of baking soda per week. Thanks for the heads up I will keep a close eye on the PH.

I am considering turning the discharge ports down 90 degrees but first I need to perfectly level the top of the weir wall so I have consistent spillage across the top of the entire wall.

What are you testing your pool chemistry with?
The chemicals you are adding are kind of a recipe for a future disaster and certainly not aligned with the chemical maintenance that we teach.
I suggest you read through Pool School, starting with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

I have certainly also seen faux stone (or even real stone) on spillover wall like that as well. Just talk to a builder.

What are you testing your pool chemistry with?
The chemicals you are adding are kind of a recipe for a future disaster and certainly not aligned with the chemical maintenance that we teach.
I suggest you read through Pool School, starting with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

I have certainly also seen faux stone (or even real stone) on spillover wall like that as well. Just talk to a builder.
I am using Calcium Chlorine tabs for now until my calcium comes up to target range. Once that happens I will switch over to liquid chlorine exclusively.

I am using Calcium Chlorine tabs for now until my calcium comes up to target range. Once that happens I will switch over to liquid chlorine exclusively.
OK, you need to stop blindly adding a bag of "shock" (what ingredient) and baking soda.
What test kit are you using? Note there are few that we recommend: Test Kits Compared
The TF-100 is the best value and I highly recommend you invest in one before your pool turns green.

Are you sure the tablets are cal-hypo and not trichlor? Are they turning to mush in your skimmer?

OK, you need to stop blindly adding a bag of "shock" (what ingredient) and baking soda.
What test kit are you using? Note there are few that we recommend: Test Kits Compared
The TF-100 is the best value and I highly recommend you invest in one before your pool turns green.

Are you sure the tablets are cal-hypo and not trichlor? Are they turning to mush in your skimmer?
I am positive they are Cal Hypo tabs. My test kit is a taylor K-2006 and my local pool store runs a colorimeter. I have them run my water once a week. I am not adding shock if the pool doesn't need it but after a big storm is has needed. it. My water is pretty balanced now with the exception of my CH being low. I will probably be moving to LC in the next week or so depending on my test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why do you think the pool needs shock at times?

Anything you put on that wall will be subject to scaling and build up of minerals and such. Just keep that in mind as it will need to be cleaned every once in a while and it might be a bigger job than most would want to do. If you are still interested doing such I can call in a master pool builder that can give you ideas of what to use or not use AND how to attach it.

Kim:kim: