trstaz

Jul 22, 2018
Chandler/Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I live in Chandler AZ and my CYA was off the chart high. I have drained my pool (10K gallons) and getting ready to refill but was needing know what amounts of CYA stabilizer, chlorine and muriatic acid need to be added as I’m filling the pool? I’m told from another member that our water CH starts at 250. Thanks for the help in advance. TRS

Welcome to the forum!
As it appears you will be using liquid chlorine to chlorinate, you may as well get 6-8 gallons of it and store it. See FC/CYA Levels
CYA you will want to bring to 40 ppm or so. Use the sock method to dissolve it. Use PoolMath for how much. I get 3 pounds will get you to about 40 ppm.
Muriatic acid you will be using quite frequently too to maintain your pH in the 7's. So a two gallon box of 31.45% from Home Depot works.
I suggest you review ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and How to Chlorinate Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool

Welcome to the forum!
As it appears you will be using liquid chlorine to chlorinate, you may as well get 6-8 gallons of it and store it. See FC/CYA Levels
CYA you will want to bring to 40 ppm or so. Use the sock method to dissolve it. Use PoolMath for how much. I get 3 pounds will get you to about 40 ppm.
Muriatic acid you will be using quite frequently too to maintain your pH in the 7's. So a two gallon box of 31.45% from Home Depot works.
I suggest you review ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and How to Chlorinate Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool
Thanks for the reply. I read about the sock method and based on pool math it says I need to 3lbs 5oz of stabilizer. How much do you put in a sock and how long should that take? Lastly, do I wait until water is filled all the way up? My brother had mentioned using the pump I drained the pool with to agitate the water as it’s filling so I can add chemicals. Thanks

You can wait until the pool is full. Add a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine when full. Get as much stabilizer in the sock as will fit. Use a thin sock, even a knee high panty hose works great. Once it gets fully wet, squeeze the sock and the CYA will dissolve quickly.

You can wait until the pool is full. Add a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine when full. Get as much stabilizer in the sock as will fit. Use a thin sock, even a knee high panty hose works great. Once it gets fully wet, squeeze the sock and the CYA will dissolve quickly.
Marty, I checked my CH this morning straight from the hose going into the pool and it’s around 50 so pool math recommends 19lbs of calcium. Am I going to need to add muriatic acid too? Thanks

Are you using water from a softener? I have never heard of that soft of water in the Phoenix area.

I find a 50 ppm CH reading for tap water in the Phoenix area very odd. Check another out side faucet for CH.
If the pool is really at 50 ppm CH, you will need to add calcium to get to 200+ ppm CH.

Marty,

I have a soft water system but only to the inside of the house.
I find a 50 ppm CH reading for tap water in the Phoenix area very odd. Check another out side faucet for CH.
If the pool is really at 50 ppm CH, you will need to add calcium to get to 200+ ppm CH.
Marty, thanks I tested the water this morning and the CH was 150 so I added 8lbs of the calcium and will test later today or tomorrow morning. However my TA is high at 120 and in Pool Math it says to add acid to lower pH but not how much. Is there a particular formula one uses to add the acid? Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.