New to pool ownership ...

I'm in a similar position but quickly learning. If there's any advice I could give to a fellow noob, it would be read every Pool School article on this website. You can get through all of them in a couple of hours. Look at your equipment pad and trace the pipes to figure out what is happening, and perhaps label them so you don't forget. Every setup is slightly different, but there are lots of helpful Youtube videos that explain things.

As soon as possible, make sure you're circulating the water enough to keep algae from growing. With an 18k gallon pool I try to pump at 40-45gpm for 8-10 hours per day. This is enough to theoretically do one full pass through the filter. Buy your own test kit. Most folks here use the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006C. Download the PoolMath app on your phone, and pay the $7/year for it. Trust me, it's worth it. As soon as you get the kit, start testing your water daily. It will seem pretty daunting at first and will take a long time, but will get quicker as you get used to it. It will probably take a few days to get everything dialed in, and after that you won't have to test the more stable levels as often.

Oh, finally, plan on doing all of this even if you hire a pool maintainer. I made the mistake of letting mine handle the water chemistry for the first month. He does a fine job, but it really does take more than a once per week adjustment.

Last edited:
I agree. Kevin pretty much summed it up.

Fill our your signature so people know what your setup is. Try to get the test kit sooner than later.

How is your water? Any issues? if so, create a new thread in the corresponding forum topic.