New to pool ownership need help on where to start with chemicals

The 4 drops of reagent does help thanks. I have another issue my wife says that around the bottom rim she thinks there are places of algae brown green stuff in spots. When you brush your hand over them they disappear into a cloud. Water remains clear cc =0. One day last week my fc did fall below recommended fc/cya chart recommendations.
Do i need to preform an overnight chlorine loss test to confirm the presence of algae or do i just start my slam today. My other question is there is this green brown no where else. If it's inside ladder how do I clean the inside the ladder or will the slam kill off the algae inside the ladder if that's is where it is?

Completion of a slam =
1] clear water
2] pass overnight fc test loss
3] cc below .5
is that correct.
Thanks

Those are the correct criteria for a successful SLAM Process. Read the article.

The areas you speak of with some algae will be a consistent issue unless you clean/brush them regularly, at least weekly. So you should brush them really well then take the FC to SLAM level. You may find it clears very quickly.

The ladder will be a constant source as well. It should be removed and cleaned on a regular basis also.

How does one clean the inside of these big above ground pool ladders . The ladder is white and has no visible algae on it. We brush it regularly with a small brush after we brush the pool. Then vacuum. Do you suggest I just slam or do an overnight chlorine loss test before slamming? I have read the article learn by reading then repeating in a text form to you guys the experts to verify my thoughts processes are correct. I apologize if that is annoying to anyone and I appreciate your responses.

I do not personally have one. Some folks have found they need to take them apart to clean them. Not sure about yours.

You can do an OCLT at any time. Do one tonight.

I did my oclt . I started at 8ppm fc and this morning have 8ppm fc. During the test was it ok that I left my pump running?
Also if that's isn't algae is it just dirt from getting in and out of the pool?

You passed OCLT only if you haven't lost more then 1 ppm AND the 3 criteria. Some go it one more day of slam just to be sure you've met them all otherwise you will be back to square one in a short time. About the dirt only you will know as dead algae will move into a blur when the water next to it gets moved but you just may need a good vacuuming.

I did my oclt . I started at 8ppm fc and this morning have 8ppm fc. During the test was it ok that I left my pump running?
It is okay that you left your pump running, but do you have a SWCG and if so, was it running. Please fill out your signature so we can help you better.

If you had no FC loss overnight, and all sources of chlorine were removed (no tablets in the system either, correct?), then just vacuum more and monitor the chemistry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My latest numbers
Ph 7.5
Fc 4
Cc 0.5
Ch 100
Ta 110
Cya 50
Is it normal to only need to add chlorine and barley any other chemicals? Do my numbers look OK. From what I have read i believe they do. I know my cc is 0.5 but it's normally 0 so I will continue to watch this. Anything else I should keep an eye on. Thanks

Your FC is low, bring it up to 8ppm.
As far as other chemicals, yes most people following the TFP method, myself included, don't need to add lots of other chemicals.
In most cases it is muriatic acid, to lower PH and occasionally add some CYA if it drops.
I still have two boxes of Borax, that I bought before finding this website, but never needed to use.

Is it possible to have algae with CC at zero. My water is cloudy but can still see bottom. Fc has remained above 4 with my cya at 50. I vacuumed today and there was quite a bit more places that appeared to be dirty. I also brushed the side walls. I have chosen to shock pool. Is this ok or am I wasting chlorine. I just posted my most recent water chemistry a few days ago. 18ft x 54" above ground pool. Hayward cartridge filter 2 speed pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.