kingfish1982

May 7, 2020
Wadsworth ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have an 18ft by 54" above ground pool. Water was delivered from a Municipal pool water supply 8000 gallons. Water is currently clear I will receive a water test kit tomorrow to Test water parameters. Where do I start with chemicals I will list my water test once I have them available.

Until you know the parameters of your tap water, it’s a little hard to recommend chemicals. However, no matter what, you’ll need a way to add chlorine to the pool. How do you plan to do that?

As long as you can add some chlorine to the pool now, if you haven’t already, I would wait for the test kit, test your water, and your tap water, then you can figure out what chemicals to buy.

I’m sure others with more experience will chime in.

With a fresh fill you know you have no CYA in the water. You can get 30 ppm worth of CYA dissolving.
Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine now. Do that daily until you get the test kit.

The other parameters can wait until you have your test kit.

I see you have Poolmath. Use Effects of Adding Chemicals. You select it by touching the hamburger menu on the upper left. Enter the volume of your pool, if necessary, and bleach. Enter the % strength of bleach you are using, and start with a volume add. See below what that adds. For reference, 1 gallon of 10% bleach in 10000 gallons adds 10 ppm.

For your pool volume, a quart of 10% bleach will raise your FC by just over 3 ppm.

Yes. You are keeping a level FC to ward off the start of anything. Once you can measure the chemistry, then adjustments are made on that data. You will continue to add chlorine every day. Based on your testing.

should I my pump he running 24 hrs a day during this?
I agree with Dtk --- you only need to run the pump long enough to dissolve the CYA to start and mix the liquid chlorine. Once the CYA is fully dissolved, run the pump for at least 30 minutes after adding the liquid chlorine. Any longer is for skimming purposes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great. Add the liquid chlorine and CYA as described above.
Test the CYA 24 hours after it is all dissolved.

Test FC each day and keep the FC in the target level for the 30 ppm CYA.

Yes. Does not matter if you are going to swim in it or not. The chemistry must be managed or you will have a swamp on your hands.

OK. I will add cya and chlorine tomorrow morning. How often should I check the chlorine , ph, cya, ta levels. Does cya break down in a pool and need re added like chlorine or does cya get diluted out with rain.. is there a link to a pool maintenance schedule on tfp pools. Thanks for all your time.

CYA will primarily only go away due to dilution from overflow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.