New to pool ownership need help on where to start with chemicals

So I added 2lbs of cya. Then added some chlorine. How long do I need to let me pump run after. Also do I need to run my pump continuously ? My other question is when get the rest of my chemicals Wednesday do I just do a complete water test then adjust according to pool math. I will recheck chlorine and cya today and adjust again tonight if needed.
Thanks

Pump running for 30 minutes after adding chlorine is sufficient to distribute it. Is all the CYA dissolved from the sock?

Always test prior to adding any chemical to be sure you are only adding what the pool needs.

Ok here are my latest numbers

CYA 50
Ph 7.2
FC 12
COMBINED CHLOMAMINES 0.5
TC 12.5
CALCIUM HARDNESS 175
TOTAL ALKALINITY 110

WHAT'S YOUR SUGGESTIONS. POOL MATH TELLS ME SUN AND TIME WILL TAKE CARE OF CHLORINE. IT ALSO SAYS ADD 38OUNCES BORAX TO INCREASE PH
THANKS
JASON

Do nothing to the water chemistry. Unless you have a plaster pool. Then you might consider adding some calcium.

Swim and enjoy!

What is a safe level of chlorine to swin in its 12 fc to high?
Depends on CYA.
It is safe to swim in up to SLAM FC level based on your CYA. Your CYA of 50 gives a SLAM level FC of 20 ppm. You can swim in your pool up to a FC of 20 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool chemistry has been doing well. Just a quick question I aim for 6 on my fc. Cya is 50. I check fc every other day and start at 6fc and am generally around 3fc 48hrs later. Is that an acceptable amount of fcs to lose in 2 days or is that alot. I find myself adding chlorine about every 2nd day, is that normal?

I would suggest you to add chlorine every day during swim season. You are falling below minimum FC. You never want to do that.

You should be targeting 8 ppm FC each day.

How long daily should I be letting my pump run at a minimum when I'm not using the pool?
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

The quick answer: 30min when adding chlorine to allow disbursement, otherwise, long enough to keep the pool clean for your personal preferences :)

So I have increased my fc to 8 and have been keeping it there daily. All my other chemistry looks good. My CC is 0. My father in law says I should be "shocking my pool bi weekly". It was my understanding that's this isn't needed unless cc go above 0.5ppm am I correct??

Reactions: splashpad
So I have increased my fc to 8 and have been keeping it there daily. All my other chemistry looks good. My CC is 0. My father in law says I should be "shocking my pool bi weekly". It was my understanding that's this isn't needed unless cc go above 0.5ppm am I correct??
You got it! As long as you keep your FC level at target level for your CYA, a "routine" or "one time" "shocking" is "old school" ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.