New to pool ownership, confirmation of what I'm doing thus far appreciated.

lcabrams3

Jul 18, 2019
Buffalo New York
We closed on a new home 3 weeks ago which came with a 40,000 gallon, plaster, in-ground pool, that was put in around 1970. The previous home owner was elderly and though he continued to open it yearly, it has started to show its age. The sand filter (need to check kind) and heater are newer (5-7 years). The pump is old and is in the process of being replaced in the next week or two through the home warranty. There is also a leak, which the pool company that has been servicing the pool for the last 23 years believes is underground in one of the return pipes. However, they have not come out to do pressure checks or identify the location of the leak yet, but have ruled out several other possibilities already. It's currently losing about an 1-1.5 inches over 24 hours while the pump is running (About 8-12 hours-we have lots of trees & pollen near pool). I have been maintaining the water level in order to keep the pump running so I can keep the water clear and usable in the meantime while we are waiting to do repairs.

I have the Taylor-2006C test kit and my results are:

FC: 5.6
pH: 7.6
TA: 70
CH: 120
CYA: 45

I am using liquid chlorine to sanitize. I have reviewed the e-book. According to Pool Math, it says to add ~50 lbs of Calcium Chloride, however, I'm very apprehensive to dump that much into my pool without some confirmation that I am doing things correctly.

Recommendations are appreciated.

Your FC is a bit low and should be 6-8 for CYA 50.

If the dot disappears between 50 and 40 we round up and call it 50. Then reference the FC/CYA Levels to find FC target level. You can’t measure CYA 45 since the scale between the lines is logarithmic, not linear. Halfway between lines is not 5.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.