New to pool care

whonut

May 17, 2016
star city/arkansas
Recently purchased a home with an existing ag pool. Previous owner left pool uncovered all winter. I followed their instructions for start up( added 40lbs of salt, shocked with 3lbs of htp super scock, then added algecide the next day). This turned the water from dark green to cloudy blue over night. I have since added liquid bleach. I have been working on clearing it up for about two-three weeks now. Vaccuming and brushing.
Getting close but water is still slightly hazy, i can see the bottom. I don't have a test kit yet, only test strips that tell me alk, ph, and copper.
Alk is around 80-90; ph is around 7.2-7.6, copper is 0-0.3. I don't have any other test results. No pool stores near my home town. Any suggestion on clearing the water totally would be a great help. Still trying to understand this permasalt system????

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Permasalt doesn't have a great reputation here on TFP and likely for good reason. Use the search box above for Permasalt and you'll find some interesting discussions. It shouldn't be too difficult to move away from the permasalt methods and adopt TFP methods.

In general, it's not wise to start a pool up by just adding the same chemicals every year without doing testing first. Having a proper test kit and doing initial and daily testing is paramount to knowing what your pool needs. Check out the Pool School - Test Kits Compared as step one. You need to have a proper home test kit for accuracy of results and convenience. Spend a bit of time in Pool School starting with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and ask lots of questions.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Perma salt is not a product we suggest for pool care. We teach folks to manage their pools with no proprietary products. Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll get you started in the right direction.

Turning it off and running your pool is good. Salt in the pool is fine. Most pools have salt in them anyway. It also makes the water softer and feel nicer.