New to pool care.... Weird pH and alkalinity issue

bntyl85

May 20, 2020
Kahoka, MO
I tested my water this morning because I've been trying to get levels in shape. The water looks kind of hazy when looking across the pool underwater, from outside the pool looking down it looks fine (but it is only 30").
The pH is 7.2, while the alkalinity is 160...which seems weird to have a low pH and high alkalinity (especially since I haven't added anything to adjust either since I filled the pool). Otherwise CYA is 40, FC is 5, and my kit doesn't test calcium hardness but with my vinyl pool I'm not too concerned about that.
How can I fix the pH and alkalinity of the pool? I'm worried that driving pH down to lower the alkalinity will get the pH so low that it will cause problems. I'm considering aerating the water to drive the pH up without affecting the alkalinity then adding acid to lower both. Is this my best option?
Not sure if my signature is showing so I'll include those stats:
Intex 13' easy set vinyl pool
Intex Krystal klear pump with cartridge filter(came with pool)
Taylor - K1004 Test Kit (reluctant to spend more on a test kit than I did on the pool...)

bntyl85 - Im having a similar issue. I started with Total Alkalinity at 190 and pH at 8.2 .... using muriatic acid I got the pH down to 7.6 but my TA only went down to 180. Im afraid if I continue to add muriatic acid I will drop the pH too low .... hoping you get some good responses I can learn from!

bntyl85 - Im having a similar issue. I started with Total Alkalinity at 190 and pH at 8.2 .... using muriatic acid I got the pH down to 7.6 but my TA only went down to 180. Im afraid if I continue to add muriatic acid I will drop the pH too low .... hoping you get some good responses I can learn from!
The pH is good. Go swimming. The aeration from lots pf splashing and kicking will push the pH back up so you can dose it again.

Unless you're at serious risk of Calcium scaling, there's no need to stress on high TA. It'll push the pH up quick and then you can reduce it when you adjust pH. Whether you rig up aerators or just let nature run at its own speed, it'll end up taking the same amount of acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.