New to me pool, lots of work to be done.

If the dilute CYA test resulted in 200, your CYA is even higher than that. So, it is time to drain the pool and fill with fresh water.

How do you chlorinate? EDIT -- looked again at the logs so not SWCG.

Yes. Pretty much. You could leave a foot or so in the deep end to leave some CYA in the water.

OK -- Well you will need 60 + ppm CYA for that. I do not know your pool design but you could leave as much as 20% of the water and most likely still be OK>

Can you please add your pool info to your signature? That will very helpful to make sure we are giving you the best advice for your pool. Just click on your user name at the top right. It should bring up a drop down. Click on signature. Add in what kind of pool- in ground plaster or vinyl. Size in gals, kind of filter, swg, test kit, any special features it has like bubblers or such.

THANKS!

Kim:kim:

Can you please add your pool info to your signature? That will very helpful to make sure we are giving you the best advice for your pool. Just click on your user name at the top right. It should bring up a drop down. Click on signature. Add in what kind of pool- in ground plaster or vinyl. Size in gals, kind of filter, swg, test kit, any special features it has like bubblers or such.

THANKS!

Thanks Kim, hopefully you saw my old info. I had not updated since I was in the middle of an install. Should finish equipment this week and will start draining and refilling pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok everyone, I finally finished the full upgrade. New pump, redone sand filter with multiport, swcg, and new valves and plumbing to hook everything up, all controlled by a intellicenter.
I also drained the majority of the pool and it is refilling now. Once it's full what should I do first? I have some liquid chlorine as well as muriatic acid. And I also have the salt needed to bring my salinity up for the salt water system. Since it's new water what should I do first? I will definitely test everything but should I put in liquid chlorine and adjust ph first? Or add the salt and let it circulate before adding chlorine? I looked for some steps in the pool care section but didn't find a checklist or recommendation on what do first.
Thanks!

It is kind of the order we post the tests results:
FC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
salt

You can also work on all of them at the same time EXCEPT FC and pH. With FC and pH all you have to do is wait 15 mins between adding liquid chlorine and muriatic acid.

To get your FC up you use liquid chlorine. The SWG is good at keeping it level ONCE it is where you want it.

Salt adding=Diamond Day! If you have any littles this is a fun time for them. Pour the salt in while everyone is in the pool. As it floats down it looks like diamonds. So pretty! Then they get to help mix it in good while swimming.

Do not turn the SWG until the salt has been in the pool for a while and are you are sure it is all mixed in good.

Thanks Kim. It is almost completely filled so I am going to start running it soon. Can I leave the salt cell in but turned off until the salt is good or do I have to get one of those dummy cells till its ready?
Leave the salt cell off (or at 0% setting) until the salt is well mixed.

Ok so an update and a few questions.
Here is my current levels
FC has been slowly coming down from high SLAM levels. Pool was completely clear until today when I vacuumed the bottom and kicked up stuff that had settled.
I have been adding MA to bring the PH down and try to lower my TA but it seems stalled. I got it down to 150 but hasn't dropped any further. PH slowly climbs but I have been keeping it below 7.6. How long do I aerate after adding acid? I have been running the pool in spillway to aerate using the spa jets, is that the best option? Or should I do something else. Also how important is getting TA lower?
As for FC I am currently at 7 and finally got my salt dissolved and showing at 3600 so when should i start running the SWG? The pool math app shows my goal for FC to be 3-10 what number should I be shooting for? From what I can tell I generally drop about 1 FC per day.
Thanks!

No need to focus on TA unless your pH rise is bothersome to you or you need to manage CSI to keep it between -0.3 and 0 for the SWCG.
I would keep your FC right at 7 ppm.

Thanks Mknauss! I guess I will get the SWG dialed in now. Any idea how long and what level I should start at? I have just shy of 40k gallons and the IC60 that puts out 2lbs per at 24hr runtime.
Also forgive my ignorance but what is CSI? I have not heard it mentioned and don't recall seeing it in my test kit info

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.