New to IFCS

ChrisinLVNV

May 14, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
I am a relatively new pool owner and have been trying to understand how my system works. Certainly, this is my first IFCS. From what I gather, I have a combo A&A/Paramount system to deal with my Pool/Spa combo with grotto. After getting my water tested, I decided to do a fresh fill (dissolved solids above 5000 ppm) and take the time to pressure wash the side. I also removed all (48) gamma 4 heads. I disassembled them, acid washed the parts and replaced both o-rings on each head. I know I'll get asked about pressure, set up, etc. but for now I just have some broad questions:
1. The Gamma 4s have adjustable sized orifices/nozzles. In general, how should they be set up: small nozzles for steps/shallow areas, spas, grotto and large for deep center of the pool areas? or vice versa?
2. I've read that the those closest to the main drains/center of the pool are fixed? How are these distinguished? I read this after I had removed and replaced them, but I don't recall any being different. There was one that had a gray versus light blue plastic ring that rode with the spring, but I just thought this was aesthetics.
3. My pressure at the cleaner valve doesn't get higher than 10psi and falls when transitioning between zones to 0-2 psi. This seems low. This is even with my heater bypass open and a thorough cleaning of the intellichlor cell and filters. Pressure at the filter (cartridge) is around 27psi. What can cause the low pressure? a blockage in the return line? The gear sets for the paramount and A&A valves are fine/new. No leaks at the o-rings (I've replaced and lubed them).

Thank you.

Chris

Welcome to TFP.

Let's see if @proavia can address your IFC head questions.

27 PSI sounds high for any filter. When was the last time the filter was cleaned or the cartridge replaced?

High pressure at the filter will reduce flow downstream of the filter in your returns and IFCS.

Thank you for the welcome and first reply, AJW. It's a new cartridge set and I did give it a good cleaning before refilling and restarting the system. The 27 PSI seems to be smack dab in the middle of the arrows (high one annotated with "clean") indicated on the pressure gauge suggesting I'm in the acceptable operating range. Still, I can try to take it apart and do another cleaning if you think it'd help. To me it seems my problem is after the filter on the return side which is why my pressure is low at the in floor valve.

The arrows on the PSI gauge are generic and not usually accurate.

We recommend you note the clean PSI and clean your filter when the pressure increases by 25%.

Post pics of your equipment pad.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment. Knowing your equipment can help us help you with more specific advice.

Do you have a Heat Pump?

The 27 PSI seems to be smack dab in the middle of the arrows (high one annotated with "clean") indicated on the pressure gauge suggesting I'm in the acceptable operating range.
That ring rotates. It could have got knocked. The purpose is to clean your filter (a known base line) and when you start up, you rotate that ring so the bottom arrow aligns to the "clean" operating pressure. Over time as the filter grids become dirty, the pressure will increase. That ring just gives you a reminder of your starting pressure of a clean filter.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Can you post a few pics of your equipment pad, infloor water valves and Jandy valves?
Also, list all your equipment (manufacturer and model number) in your signature, along with your pool specifics.

The A&A water valve doesn't usually have a separate pressure gauge.
The Paramount water valve sometimes does and some also have a screen type strainer in the inlet side that needs frequent cleaning.
Are both valves functioning at the same exact time? Seeing your plumbing layout will help us to help you.

The Gamma heads have multiple nozzle options. Usually, the first step uses the smallest nozzle. The other nozzle sizes are used based on location, how many heads on a zone, etc. How many heads per zone?

Usually, the A&A Manufacturing company designs the infloor for the pool. No idea if they did yours - but sounds like you have a hybrid (A&A and Paramount), so either the original builder "designed" it or possibly a water valve was replace with the other brand at some point. I don't know if Paramount is involved in designing their system installs. Does the A&A water valve do the pool only and the Paramount water valve do the spa only (or vice versa)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.