New to hot tub- what's different from my old TFP pool experiences?

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'm back! I sold my house with pool back in 2014. I was a full on TFP'er and was running the pool like a champ. But now I'm a few years rusty and just bought a house with a huge Pinnacle Spa on the back porch. We were going to cut it up and throw it away until we uncovered it. It look like new and from the website, looks like it was a $12,000 thing. I know nothing about hot tubs. Luckily the prior owner's emptied it last week so I'm starting from scratch.

My thoughts are to buy another Tf-100 test kit and speed stir. Don't use the bromine cartridges mentioned in the manual. I need to read up on what I do with the filter- I'm assuming clean it somehow.

After I fill and start up the tub according to the directions, do I get the levels the same as I had in my pool?

What about temperature? I doubt I need to leave this thing at 100 degrees all the time. I'm in southern Florida so the water will stay pretty warm. My wife's friends said they keep their hot tub "cool" and use it to refresh from the summer heat. More like a cold tub?

I plan to give it a whirl and decide if it's worth keeping or getting rid of.

Before I bought a house with a pool I too used my hot tub as a cool tub in the summer months, it works but hard to do laps.
I would suggest you fully clean the tub prior to use. That includes purging all the plumbing with a surfactant made for spas, who knows what lurks inside a used spa. Do a search for biofilm if you need any motivation to thoroughly clean your spa.
I would also purchase a new filter. Check out this thread if you intend to use chlorine for sanitation......How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
The water balance is similar to a pool (plaster vs fiberglass) although the CYA can be reduced if the spa has a cover but be aware the CYA drops off much faster in a heated spa and it requires frequent checking until you are familiar with your system.
Another thing to consider is the water amount per bather compared to a pool. A spa is much smaller and needs to be drained more often....... Read this......Spa Soup: Why We Dump Spa Water - AQUA Magazine
Enjoy your spa.

Thanks for the write up and links Oly. I just read up on them and I'm going to order a new Tf100 and speed stir.

I do some more research on cleaning out the plumbing before doing a full fill and balance. Prior owners left me a bunch of different chemicals, I'll see if there's a surfactant in there.

Ahh-some is awesome! A definite buy! I switched from bromine tabs to bleach and couldn’t be happier. I am in a Fl also and I turn my heater down as far as I can in the summer.

I'm halfway through my ahh-some experience. Wow is it working. I spiked the CH up to 10, 4 TSP's of ahhh-some. Foamed up great, lots of yellow gook. I've been scrubbing off the sides as the water level is dropping with a bug sponge for a car. I'm about halfway empty and starting to use fresh water from a hose to keep the particles going downhill and out of the seats and hopefully sucked out through the sump pump I have running in the bottom.

I'm going to fill it and run a second batch of ahhh-some, then drain, rinse, fill and dump again. Then I'll balance the water.

42926338611_f9f6bbccde_b.jpg

I'm halfway through my ahh-some experience. Wow is it working. I spiked the CH up to 10, 4 TSP's of ahhh-some. Foamed up great, lots of yellow gook. I've been scrubbing off the sides as the water level is dropping with a bug sponge for a car. I'm about halfway empty and starting to use fresh water from a hose to keep the particles going downhill and out of the seats and hopefully sucked out through the sump pump I have running in the bottom.

I'm going to fill it and run a second batch of ahhh-some, then drain, rinse, fill and dump again. Then I'll balance the water.

42926338611_f9f6bbccde_b.jpg

Please use only 2 level Teaspoons for the second purge. You will not need 4.

- - - Updated - - -

You will only need 2 Teaspoons for the second purge and NOT 4 Teaspoons. Incidentally, the Teaspoons are level not heaped. This gel is very concentrated.

Please use only 2 level Teaspoons for the second purge. You will not need 4.

- - - Updated - - -

You will only need 2 Teaspoons for the second purge and NOT 4 Teaspoons. Incidentally, the Teaspoons are level not heaped. This gel is very concentrated.

Thanks going to add 2 tsp now for the second run. After I drain it, I fill back up with water, run pumps, then drain and fill one more time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Second round was less foamy and about 1/4th the amount of yellow crud came out. It didn't stick to sides as bad either. I drained the tub and as the water went down, I went around with the scrubber sponge and hose and kept the stuff going downhill so it got sucked out by the sump pump.

I filled and cycled the pumps with plain water. Nothing came out or floated up. I drained again and there is no residue. I'm done for the day. Tomorrow I think I'll fill her up, chlorinate, and start balancing the water.

i can't wait to jump in. Since we're in Miami and it's hot as heck, I think I'll keep it at 85 degrees so it'll be a "cool tub".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.