New to forum with questions regarding by pool equipment / control

Ozzsp250

Sep 30, 2020
Phoenix AZ
Just joined the forum after purchasing a house with an existing in ground swimming pool and spa. I doing some research on my pool equipment. Current controller is Aqua Logic PS-4, cartridge filter, Pentair Variable Speed pump for pool and spa, Pentair Salt generator cell. What I don't like is currently the VSD pump operates off it's internal time clock, set for 12 hours [starting at 9pm] with the first 3 hours at high speed and the remainder at low speed. The Salt cell is run off relay the filter relay starting at 9:15 pm through 6:15 am but is based on the Aqua logic internal clock. My first concern is with a power failure and the 2 different clocks not being in synchronized the salt cell could be active without flow.
Current relays are:
Filter to Salt Cell
Light for Pool light
Aux 1 for Spa light
Aux 2 for Spa air motor
My desire is as the Aqua Logic can drive the VSD pump by serial connection so using a Pump Link Translator sold on Ebay for $60. I question whether the internal timers will permit operating the pump as before, however that would have Filter relay set for 3 hours = high speed and re-purpose Aux 1 for low speed for remaining time but setting the Salt cell becomes an issue.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• PumpLink Translator.jpg
    PumpLink Translator.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 3
Ok I have completed the changes on my system. I use the pump filter relay to supply 240 vac power to Aux 1 relay [was spa light but does not work] which I have set as a timer within the Hayward configuration setup. I then use the Aux 1 timer to drive the Pentair Salt Cell. The Pentair VSD pump is now commanded via serial communication from the Hayward Aqua Logic board via the Pump-link translator. Ext control is set in the Pentair VSD pump with Program 1 - 4 set as 25, 50, 75, 90 speeds set in rpm, these match the same percentages set in the Hayward Aqua Logic variable speed set points within the configuration for pump filter relay. While it all functions and the translator cost was $55 --- much better than the $2400 the swim guy wanted to charge to upgrade my system.

Note a couple of negatives with the system, which I'll live with as no pump display values [rpm, power consumption etc]. are shown when running in Ext Control, the Aqua Logic displays the speed in percentage commanded. I do have an alarm to Check the pool bridge comm when pump is running due to lack of information transfer from VSD.

In photo 207 the translator is a small device shown on left near bottom with the power LED and run LED on.

I now need to tackle the water balance issues the pool has --- I'm getting white flakes [calcium?] left on steps where the pool cleaner does not reach. Also has developed a light 'ring above the pool' recently.

Attachments

• 205.jpg
    205.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 206.jpg
    206.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 207.jpg
    207.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.