Spring, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Heated pool for kids, as such temp is higher than normal. Typically has been around 52.

Using Taylor K-2006.

water temp 87, FC 5, CC .5, PH 7.8, TA 90, CA 280, CYA 70, CSI .16

Curious about testing FC. Kit says use two dippers of powder. I’ve tested using one dipper as adviced here and also have used two dippers. When doing both, I get two different reads for FC.

My CYA seems high. Pool builder started me off using tabs. Several months went by before switching to liquid chlorine. Should I drain to get lower level or just keep FC higher?

Thanks

Your CYA is a bit high for a liquid chlorine pool. But CYA 70 will be good in the Texas summer. So I would not drain your pool. Over time your CYA will drop some.

Keep your FC up to the target for CYA 70.

Your CYA is a bit high for a liquid chlorine pool. But CYA 70 will be good in the Texas summer. So I would not drain your pool. Over time your CYA will drop some.

Keep your FC up to the target for CYA 70.
I appreciate your response. I will keep the FC up and wait it out for summer.

Nice to meet you via TFP :)

CYA is fine at 70 ppm, so no, I wouldn't drain any for that reason. I'd keep my FC at 6 to 10 though, especially with kids :)

I've never had an issue using one dipper on a 10 ml sample. One way to check that you've added enough is that you should be able to see some crystals of undissolved DPD powder in the bottom of the tube.

Your numbers look great!

Reactions: jdlangley1
I would lower your pH a bit yo 7.6 which should lower your CSI below 0. A bit negative CSI is better then positive.

The way i find out if i used enough powder is to fill the test tube with pool water again after the test, if it turns pink again then you had enough. If not then I would test again with more powder. Found this out by cleaning the test tube with tap water.

The way i find out if i used enough powder is to fill the test tube with pool water again after the test, if it turns pink again then you had enough. If not then I would test again with more powder. Found this out by cleaning the test tube with tap water.
Thanks-I guess the instructions for the K-2006 are misleading. It says two dippers.

Mine always turns pink after one; however, per kit it says add two. Two dippers will obviously require more drops to make the water clear, yielding a higher FC, right?

So are we comparing apples to apples using one dipper vs two?

The exact amount of DPD powder is not critical in any of the FAS/DPD tests. As long as the solution turns pink, you have enough powder.

In the presence of VERY VERY high chlorine (maybe 30+) it is possible the solution will flash pink and then quickly turn back to clear, in that case another dipper of powder should turn it back to pink.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.