New to Forum, just drain my green pool (!), Chandler AZ

aggonzalez

Oct 16, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Everybody,
I have for years taken care of my own pool but it wasn't since I moved to the new (actually used, built in the 80's) home where I inherited a SWG 22K gallon pool that my "trouble included pool" troubles started. First keeping with the SWG chlorinator (TC-15 cell) was a pain. I was literally afraid of checking the light in the mornings expecting it to be "yellow" again. After going through two new TC-15's I decided to move to chlorine. I did it this year but went crazy with Thrichlor. At the end of August, my pool was very green. I added granular chlorine, algaecide (I know mistake) and nothing worked. Then I decided to use my TF-100 test kit and the CYA was at 140! At that point I knew I had to drain my pool again (I just did it this April). I drained it this week and it is almost full again. Now I decided to finally join the forum so this never happens to me again, I'll keep you up to date. Obviously, I learned a lot about the relationship with chlorine tablets (etc) and CYA and how important it is to use liquid chlorine to SLAM.

In the near future I want to upgrade my circulation system. My 1HP pump broke down this summer and I just replaced it with a rebuilt one. My filter is cartridge. I would like to replace both with new equipment but I would like a sand filter rather than a cartridge filter this time. The sand filter will naturally dilute the CYA over time and it is much easier to clean.

Thanks for the great site!
Agustin

Welcome. I suggest you read the Pool School articles. Any filter that flushes water out of the pool to clean it will remove CYA with the water. That is not unique to sand filters. I check the rated capacity of your TC-15 compared to the size of your pool. From what I have read you should oversize your SWG compared to your pool size. Most of the people I see posting from AZ swear by their SWG vs. lugging the amount of LC required in your climate.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

First and foremost, your SWG cell is completely undersized for your pool. Here in AZ the sun burns up FC rapidly in the summer months. You do not have to switch to a sand filter to maintain your CYA. I have a cartridge filter on my pool, with zero CYA problems. And I’m on 3 years with the same water.
If you do decide to continue using liquid chlorine, (that’s what I do) all you’ll need to maintain your pool is, chlorine, MA, and CYA. You can keep a few “pucks” on hand to toss in the floater when you go on vacation.

Since you’re refilling your pool again, start a post in the “Just getting started” section of this site, post up a full set of test results, and folks will guide you along to a TFP!

Start with some reading. :cheers:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

FC/CYA Levels

Recommended Levels