New to forum and first time pool

May 9, 2017
Rockwall/ TX
Hi! I wish I had found this site sooner. We are building a new pool and it's been a little overwhelming. Today they finished the gunite. It's been very exciting and we are trusting we made the right choices and trusting our builder since it's our first time. Looking forward to everyone's help and opinions. I will post pics of what's been done and where we are so far. We have lots to learn.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

At least you found us prior to having a swamp :D

If you give us some details about your pool and equipment we still may be able to recommend some equipment changes that would be better for you (and likely not too late to change) ... for example, ditch the UV or Ozone system if they tried to sell you one.

Also, make sure you order one of the recommended test kits before the pool is filled ... and check out Pool School to start learning about the chemistry.

IMG_9159.jpgPool size is 17'6" x 32' (13,150 gallons) stonescapes mini pebble (aqua blue) with 2 stone scuppers, 4 deck jets, tanning ledge w/ 3 bubblers, 18" raised bond beam water feature wall (Oklahoma lagstone) and 2 benches. Oklahoma flagstone coping with salt textured concrete decking (haven't chosen a color) Equipment: Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump, pentair cartridge filter, chlorine system (in-line chlorinator), pentair intellibrite LED w/color and easy touch remote control, 53k.

Attachments

• IMG_9173.jpg
    IMG_9173.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 49
OK, well, you are going to want to leave the chlorinator empty most of the time otherwise you will be draining your pool ever couple years due to the CYA build-up.

At least you did not get roped into the UV and Ozone that seem to be pushed a lot in TX.

With all that flagstone (again seems to be all anyone does in TX), there is more risk of going to a SWG, so you are pretty much stuck with having to add liquid chlorine everyday.

Well, we don't want to do that (drain pool) so thank you for that advice. I have a lot to learn about chemistry and all this equipment stuff. I'm a little bummed because I really wanted SWG, but heard it didn't do well with flagstone. I feel like we should've done more research. Anymore advice on this particular equipment? Is it going to be a pain to work with? Ok I have another question, we were told we could get umbrella sleeves, but they haven't asked where we want them, at what point are they supposed to add these?

Well there are many Pool owners that have Flagstone and use an swg and don't have any problems and then there is some antidotal evidence that problems are more likely with the flagstone if you have an swg . Of course every pool has salt in it, an swg requires it to be a little higher.

I see no reason why you will have a problem with your equipment. I would think the umbrella sleeves would go into your deck when they pour the deck.

You could always go the Stenner pump route for chlorination. Have it tied into your pool automation (assuming you plan to have at least some). It's pretty common for the pool builders to do, but watch the equipment pricing. I bought mine cheaper from lockwell.com and had my builder install it. You'll find more info on these pumps in the SWG section.

You could always go the Stenner pump route for chlorination. Have it tied into your pool automation (assuming you plan to have at least some). It's pretty common for the pool builders to do, but watch the equipment pricing. I bought mine cheaper from lockwell.com and had my builder install it. You'll find more info on these pumps in the SWG section.

Thanks, we will look into it!