New to Cal Hypo

Jul 7, 2018
Hutto/TX
So I bought some cal hypo in anticipation of the chlorine shortage this summer and I've been reading a lot but I still have some questions if any of yall have some experience to share!

1. Read a lot about storing it in a shed, out of the house, away from the pool, but it also can't be exposed to high heat or water. Question here is, wouldn't being outside in a shed expose it to more heat/water than being in a garage or a safe room in the house? How dangerous is it to keep in the house and/or garage? Given that it's not stored near anything flamible, metal, or other chemicals of course.

2. Is it safe to store next to my water softener salt? What about next to liquid chlorine? I don't have a shed so I'm trying to figure the best placement. It's in those heavy duty containers so im unsure how much of the fumes slip out (the way that chlorine tablets put off fumes).

3. How concerned should I be with small bits of its dust blowing away while im mixing it outside? This one wasn't a concern until some worry wart said it was a big issue on some article I read lol. I do plan on using a mask when I mix it. And i plan on missing it outside in the yard.

Just want to cover all my bases and yall are the best so any feedback greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Attachments

• 1620301106240303430920616904121.jpg
    1620301106240303430920616904121.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 1
Also note that you live in Texas which is not know for soft water. You’ll need to carefully watch your calcium hardness levels so they don’t get too high.

And, honestly speaking, the whole “chlorine shortage” story is nothing more than internet hype. There is a constrained supply that will result in higher prices but not shortages. What’s going to cause shortages is all the panic buying caused by people running out and buying more chlorinating products than they can reasonably store and use.

Also note that you live in Texas which is not know for soft water. You’ll need to carefully watch your calcium hardness levels so they don’t get too high.

And, honestly speaking, the whole “chlorine shortage” story is nothing more than internet hype. There is a constrained supply that will result in higher prices but not shortages. What’s going to cause shortages is all the panic buying caused by people running out and buying more chlorinating products than they can reasonably store and use.
I think people have already been causing that because I've already had such a hard time finding what I normally use the past year! This would get me through the year without having to buy more just in case.

Please be careful storing large amounts of cal hypo. It will emit chlorine fumes and must not be stored in or near anything that is flammable or incompatible with an oxidizer. The container needs to remain tightly sealed or else you can get a build of chlorine vapors in a confined space. It must be kept dry as well. Outside the home on a cool, shaded and secure location is your best bet. Make sure kids and pets can’t get at it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.