New to borates

808Pools

In The Industry
Nov 7, 2021
Honolulu Hawaii
I recently started using borax and have a good understanding of it, aware of the rise in pH and the use of muriatic acid to lower. Next I’ll be experimenting with “boric acid”. Since boric acid is not raising the pH and less use of muriatic acid, when adding it is it lowering the pH some as I believe I heard somewhere? Also I’ll be using the powdered form, 99.9% pure, I’m assuming it’ll dissolve faster than the granular, aside from that any other benefit of powder vs granular? Looking forward. Please advise! Thank you!

Also I’ll be using the powdered form, 99.9% pure, I’m assuming it’ll dissolve faster than the granular
I can speak from experience that this is not a good assumption. Boric acid powder is hydrophobic and you'll be fighting to get it dissolved as it just sits undissolved on the surface of the water or sinks in large clumps with dry centers that you'll need to break up. It's a real pain to get dissolved in to the water compared to granular.

Reactions: 808Pools
As mentioned, use granular, not powdered.

Adding boric acid may lower pH a little, but not enough to worry about if you normally keep pH well within the recommended range.

Definitely get granular boric acid- trust us. I have made the powdered mistake before to save a couple $$.
It was a long few hours.
Granular takes minutes. Duda diesel has pretty good prices.
PoolMath effects of adding will help you determine its effects on your water.

Uh
I can speak from experience that this is not a good assumption. Boric acid powder is hydrophobic and you'll be fighting to get it dissolved as it just sits undissolved on the surface of the water or sinks in large clumps with dry centers that you'll need to break up. It's a real pain to get dissolved in to the water compared to granular.
What about adding thru the skimmer to help dissolve?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.