New TF-100 TA test suspect; 3x old Taylor kit

johnvk

Jul 1, 2015
New Jersey, USA
Hello folks.

First, this is a great site. I feel like I had been seeing only dimly, and now I see fully. And my first TF-100 kit arrived, and I feel like I am in pool care heaven. So thanks all who make this possible.

Now here's my stats:

CYA 30
FC 5.5
CH 250
TA 200 or 70?
pH 8.2
76ºF
CSI .87 or .38? according to "Pool Math" [PoolMath]

So here's my problem.

My brand spankin' new TF-100 kit is measuring my TA at 200. That's way higher than it's ever been.

My old Taylor kit (2013, 6 years old) is measuring TA at 70.

I would automatically prefer the new kit...

but...

There are some mitigating factors.

Factor 1: 200 just seems too high. How would it get that high? I haven't really added anything for the past 12 months that would raise it that high. If anything, I lowered the water last fall and it rose by snow/rain.

Factor 2: the drop size and behavior of the TF-100 kit was unusual. This may sound a bit weird, but as I was putting in the drops it was if they had a static electricity repulsive force and would "jump" off the tip, causing drops to be too small. Maybe even 1/2 normal diameter some of them, meaning 1/8 the volume, and thus needing 8x the drops to get the same reaction.

While searching for "tftkits instructions" I happened across this post Just got new TFT test kit - TA test shows double which describes the same phenomena with the TA bottle.

It says to wipe the tip with a damp cloth? I guess that inhibits the static electricity? I have never had to do that with previous kits. I guess I will try that.

Also, I don't know how my pH got so high. I plan to lower with muriatic acid but wanted to post all the collected details here first just in case.

Thanks good folks!

It says to wipe the tip with a damp cloth? I guess that inhibits the static electricity? I have never had to do that with previous kits. I guess I will try that.
Correct. When new, some times the bottle tips can let go small droplets due to static electricity. It normally goes away after the 2nd or 3rd test.

Not all kits suffer from this static problem, but some do so it is wise to advise everyone to do it with a new-to-them kit. The TF-100 is most susceptible because they use extremely fresh chemicals while a k-2006 that has sat on the shelf for a few months will likely lose the static charge.

Post edited to be more understandable.

Last edited:
Reactions: pooldv
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.