New SWG start-up...Level of chlorine needed?

hackR

May 14, 2018
Syracuse, NY
Hi...not new to the details of this forum, but new membership!

Starting up my new Aquarite t-15 SWG tomorrow morning at 6am, but not sure what level of chlorine i should start at?

With balanced water and liquid chlorine this time of year, I use 2.2 FC/day...

With the SWG, I plan to aim for a FC of 6 (per this forum)...

I run 14 hours/day, 6am-8pm...

I plan to use the pool math calculator to determine desired output to align with 2.2 FC/day...

Question:

Do most people range from 5-7 during the run cycle to achieve the 6 level in my example?...or go 4-6 in my example?

Should i wait for chlorine to drop to 5 and/or 4 before i start the SWG?

thx...R

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
R,

I would use liquid chlorine and bring the FC up to 6 and then turn on the cell... I always use the target FC as my unofficial minimum. This allows me to slack off some and not worry about going too low.

It is much easier to start high and work down...

Keep in mind that your FC usage will change with the weather. I find that I have to adjust my % of output about every two or three weeks to stay within my FC window.. Just another reason I like to run my FC a little the high side..

Thanks for posting... you will love your saltwater pool!!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

hackR

May 14, 2018
Syracuse, NY
R,

I would use liquid chlorine and bring the FC up to 6 and then turn on the cell... I always use the target FC as my unofficial minimum. This allows me to slack off some and not worry about going too low.

Jim R.
Thanks, Jim...sounds like a plan...by tonight i should be near FC of 6...so tomorrow on timer should be Day1...

Do you ever worry about too much FC - especially if you get a string of cloudy rainy days without sun?...in my situation, if the SWG generates 2-3 of FC per day, then don't i run the risk of too much FC during a rainy/cloudy period?

R

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
R,

You have to go over your shock level for it to ever be an issue... With a CYA of 70 your shock level is 28... I doubt you will overshoot that much.. :p

I really only care about going too low....

Jim R.