new swg pool owner - first Taylor K2006 results

wadaheo

Jun 22, 2016
Windsor, Ontario
Pool was opened and I didn't have my Taylor K2006 test kit in yet, so I took the water to the local pool store and had them test the water. They don't give out results but gave recommendations, so I put in everything they recommended. Two days later the Taylor K-2006 kit came in along with aquachek salt test strips and I did a test. It was my first time performing these test.

So here are the results

FC: 9 ppm (25ml x 45 drops)
CC: 0 ppm (added 5 drops r0003, it was the slightest bit pink)
pH: 7.8
TA: 100 ppm (25ml x 10 drops r0009)
CH: 100 ppm (25ml x 10 drops r0012)
CYA: ? I don't know I could always see the black dot
Salt: 2800 ppm
Temp: 66 F

Also brought back a pool water sample to test at pool store they said the water was good. I turned on the heater to 82F because my kids want to go swim, they're super excited to have a pool.

So I think I need to:
1. add more salt
2. add more calcium (recommended way to do this?)
3. add more cya (recommended way to do this?)

Any help/guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Only add 200 ppm of salt or less and see if that satisfies the SWCG. Strips are not the best method to test salinity.
No calcium is needed. You have a vinyl liner pool.
Add CYA using the sock method. Have you added any? Start with targeting 50 ppm, once the powder is dissolved, wait a couple days and test it. Then add the balance needed to get to 70 ppm.

wadaheo

Jun 22, 2016
Windsor, Ontario
Only add 200 ppm of salt or less and see if that satisfies the SWCG. Strips are not the best method to test salinity.
No calcium is needed. You have a vinyl liner pool.
Add CYA using the sock method. Have you added any? Start with targeting 50 ppm, once the powder is dissolved, wait a couple days and test it. Then add the balance needed to get to 70 ppm.
Thank you for the tips, and I just read about the sock method will start it. I also have a Taylor salt kit coming in, unfortunately Taylor stuff is hard to find locally, so I am using the strips for now.

Btw, will adding calcium be harmful or add any benefits? Just curious because there is a concrete deck that goes around it.

Thank you.