New SWG: do I need to add CYA before covering pool for the winter?

funrunner

Apr 16, 2021
Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
New to using a SWG. I over salted my pool and finally got around to draining and refilling. Now my latest pool chem values are:
FC: 6.5
CC: ~.2 (guess since it's less than 0.5)
pH: 7.6
TA: 90
CH 250
CYA ~20 (guess since it's below <30 and i was at 40 before draining)
Salt: 3400
Temp: 75

The advice that I read at TFP say's I should add CYA to get it to 70. Do I really need to do this given I run my pump continuously at low speed (1000 rpm) while the pool is uncovered and I am planning to turn it completely off during the winter when I cover it with a vinyl cover?

Also my pH rises very fast. Went from 7.3 to 7.6 in 1 day. I'm trying to get the water balanced before covering. Should I aim to lower TA and add CYA? What's the advice you would give me living in Phoenix, AZ given my settings?

I didn't take the temperature last winter, but I can't image the water breaking below 60. Last winter I covered it up around Christmas and had the pump running for a few hours once a week and I had no issues. However back then I had CYA 90-100.

My question is, do I really need to add CYA before the winter when the water will be shielded from sun light? I did read the the higher CYA allows me to run my SWG less, but I'm already running it at 20%.

Thanks for the replies. I think I got enough knowledge from this discussion to monitor it. I added 1lb of CYA. I will slowly decrease my pump/ and generator usage and continue to monitor my FC. I'll hold off on adding more CYA until next Spring.

Reactions: Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.