New startup - PebblePlus

Jul 12, 2018
Concord, CA
Our pool builder used a plaster/pebble finish called "PebblePlus". Startup instructions are here: Start Up | Pebble Plus

I did initial measurements from the pool after a fill with tap water and have:

pH: meter read 9.1 - color scale was def darker than 8.2
Total Alkalinity: 90
Calcium Hardness: 125-150
CYA: 0
FC: .5-1

I guess my drinking water has some chlorine in it :) Only thing that is off is pH and it seems way off.

We love the color and texture of the plaster as is and I want to avoid an acid startup at all costs until we see what it looks like in 30 days. However, to get the pH down I'd need to add a lot of acid.

I am wondering if I should just run with the spillover spa overflow maximized overnight or if just adding the acid is fine since pH is already so high and likely won't affect the plaster anyway?

Also, pool builder has yet to come today (fill finished last night at 10). He is telling us we can't swim until Friday so I'm worried he is going to try and acid startup. Can't really do anything now anyway since I am not going to be the one who fires up the pump for the first time :) Assuming we avoid the acid start, any reason we'd have to wait until Friday to swim? It's 95 and the last few days of summer for my kids!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.