Scollops

Jan 22, 2021
Brisbane
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi just joined , looking for some expert guidance and next steps for my pool few months old. I read the ABCs but still confused on if I should shock weekly anyway as a maintenance thing ? If so use liquid chlorine or other.

I ask as my pool testing place suggests I don’t need to shock weekly more quarterly ?

Needed to add 3 bags of salt based on this :-

crrent stats
Total Alk - 103
PH 7.2
FC 1.2
Salt 4916
Calc Hard 325
Stabiliser 58
Phosphate 0.3
Total chlo 1.2
Copper 0

Oddly water has a haze which I guess is the low FC. My chlorinator is running 60% 8 hrs a day. I think thats everything.

Appreciate assistance and guidance being new to forum and pools.

Are you testing your own pool water chemistry? Clear Choice Labs has proper test kits in Australia. I suggest you look into getting one.

Shock is unnecessary if you maintain your FC based on the FC/CYA Levels
Watch

Hi scollops
Welcome to TFP
As mknauss suggested a proper test kit is recommend to test your pool water. Clear Choice Lab is the go to kit in Aus. I bought the CCL kit and have been testing my water for just over a year now and haven't been back to a pool shop (for water analysis) since. Once you get your proper Test kit post your results here. There are thousands of members and experts here that can help and offer advised based on your results and any questions POOL!

Yep, get the Clear Choice Labs kit:

It might look expensive at first sight, but it'll save you lots of money being able to test your water reliably (very important, something that pool store testing is lacking) by yourself, and to decide by yourself what to put in your pool, rather than dumping lots of unnecessary stuff in that the pool store sold you. The reward will be the clearest pool in the neighbourhood and a lot of money you didn't leave in the pool store.

Which version of the Legend XTreme Chlorinator do you have? 25g, 36g, ...? Just trying to work out how much chlorine you are actually producing per day with your settings. Best to add that to your signature.

Yep, get the Clear Choice Labs kit:

It might look expensive at first sight, but it'll save you lots of money being able to test your water reliably (very important, something that pool store testing is lacking) by yourself, and to decide by yourself what to put in your pool, rather than dumping lots of unnecessary stuff in that the pool store sold you. The reward will be the clearest pool in the neighbourhood and a lot of money you didn't leave in the pool store.

Which version of the Legend XTreme Chlorinator do you have? 25g, 36g, ...? Just trying to work out how much chlorine you are actually producing per day with your settings. Best to add that to your signature.

Hi Couldn’t find anything on the unit, in the software says 30g/ hour.

Hi scollops
Welcome to TFP
As mknauss suggested a proper test kit is recommend to test your pool water. Clear Choice Lab is the go to kit in Aus. I bought the CCL kit and have been testing my water for just over a year now and haven't been back to a pool shop (for water analysis) since. Once you get your proper Test kit post your results here. There are thousands of members and experts here that can help and offer advised based on your results and any questions POOL!

Thanks @CRAD_oz I did notice the Fas/Dpd was up to 5ppm didn’t the 2006c go to 50 ? That was the only thing I couldn’t work out . Mines only 1.2 FC apparently but should be circa 4 but shocking if and when 20 as per chart.

pool shop is already trying to take your dollars
the legend chlorinator will work with salt down to 3500ppm
if those numbers are accurate, which is unlikely being a pool store
you need a lot more chlorine
i would be adding 5 litres of liquid chlorine
as mentioned you need reliable test kit
clear choice or taylor 2006c

Hi - hence my question on maint, I will pick up a test kit anyway as I need to - just blind at moment. How do I calc the swg output ? Based on the 5litres of chlorine what was that calculated on ? Sorry newbie trying to work out the numbers and math so I can better manage the pool. As a side do I need to raise my CYA ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
your cell seems set pretty close
making 3.6ppm fc per day
most pools lose around 3ppm per day
dont add anymore stabilizer as it cannot be removed
and pool store results are not very accurate
at this stage the cloudy water suggests low level algae bloom just starting
which is why i recommended the liquid chlorine

remains 30g/ HR - currently at 60% 8 hours

OK, that means you are producing 3.6ppm of chlorine per day. If your reading of 1.2ppm is correct, then there is something going on that's eating your chlorine (algae?). Or that stabiliser reading is way off (not uncommon with shop tests), and you are loosing more chlorine to UV.

You should get a FAS/DPD kit (and CYA, TA, CH, pH and salt - complete kit) as soon as possible. Clear Choice Labs is based in QLD and they deliver by Express, you should get the kit very quickly. Only other option is Taylor 2006 (not 2005, that doesn't have FAS/DPD), but they are imported and very pricey here.

Based on the 5litres of chlorine what was that calculated on ?

That's a rule of thumb to make sure that the pool is sufficiently chlorinated until you can run FC and CYA (stabiliser) tests. That will ensure that you don't get an algae infestation, but since you for have CYA in the water, which moderates the harshness of chlorine, it will remain safe to swim in.

Awesome thanks guys much appreciated - can you confirm how you get the SWG output etc especially if running at 60% ? And if 8 hrs is enough ? Overall confirms my initial thoughts something is off.

with a cya of 60 your shock level is 24
adding 5 lites of liquid chlorine will add 12 ppm of fc
the maths is something you will pick up later if you want to know it

with a cya of 60 your shock level is 24
adding 5 lites of liquid chlorine will add 12 ppm of fc
the maths is something you will pick up later if you want to know it

thanks for the links - so on the app if I read correctly - if my output in 24 hrs is 3.6, running at 60% for 8 hours say a target of FC 4. I need to run pump for 2.75 hours at 60% . Is that right ? Is that additional or only ? Big difference ...

... or you get the PoolMath App. Under "Effects of Adding" you can pick "SWG". Your exact model is not in the list, just pick one that creates 30g/hour (or 1.587lbd/day), enter percentage setting and runtime, and make sure that the pool volume is right. PoolMath will do the calculation for you.

if I read correctly - if my output in 24 hrs is 3.6, running at 60% for 8 hours say a target of FC 4. I need to run pump for 2.75 hours at 60% . Is that right
your chlorinator at 100% will produce 30grams per hour of chlorine gas, in 40.000 litres will be 0.8ppm free chlorine per hour
so if you run at 60% will be 60% of 0.8 which is roughly 0.5ppm free chlorine per hour
if you run 24 hours at 60% will be roughly 11.5ppm free chlorine
for a target of 2.75 fc (too low in my opinion)
2.75 divide 0.5 equals 5.5 hours run time at 60 percent

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.