New spa questions

Jay397

Mar 22, 2020
Los angeles
Just got a new bullfrog a7 hot tub last week and I read alot of info and followed the thread on how to chlorinate a spa. I got the alkalinity down to 80s and the ph to 7.5. My cya levels are still in the 10-20 range. I am keeping my FC between 3-6 and plan on switching to bleach when I need too. I plan on bringing the alkalinity down a little more tomorrow but I have some questions.

Why does the composition of the spa matter? Is mine considered equivalent to fiberglass or vinyl?

Can someone explain why the target TA of a pool is different from a spa?

I have a non chlorine shock called renew from leisuretime. How often and how much do I use? My spa is 434 gallons and the instructions say use 5 tablets but will this throw off my alkalinity and ph? And do I use this everytime I use the spa or only use it once a week? Do i dose it with chlorine or seperately?

Due to covid and people buying all the bleach in stores is there an alternative I can use? I went to multiple stores today and all bleach has been cleared out.

Lastly, right now I am home all day and can test and adjust daily but what happens later down the line when I want to take a 7-10 day vacation? How do I maintain the chlorine levels while I am away? Or do i let it dissipate and start over when I get back?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jay, welcome to TFP! :wave: Lots of good questions. I'll try to help get your thread moving and I'm sure other spa/tub owners will reply.
1 - So remember, there are distinct differences between a spa (i.e. plaster attached to a pool) and a hot tub (acrylic/fiberglass type). That's why you may see some different recommended levels. Spa's with plaster much be careful about aggressive water (low TA/pH/CH) that can erode the plaster. Not normally an issue for hot tubs. Also, in tubs there is a volatile change in water chemistry due to the elevated water temp and aeration. That is another reason you may see a lower TA recommended as it helps to compensate for other items like a rising pH.
2 - Look at the ingredients for that Leisure-Time shock. It's probably an MPS-type product or cal-hypo (CH).
3 - Other than liquid chlorine/bleach, you may be stuck with some other pool store-type chlorine product. Just be aware that it may influence your CC and/or CH levels.
4 - Pools/spa owners who are away for several days may have a salt water generator that keeps the FC going. For us non-salt owners who dump chlorine manually, we either use a tab floater (which will increase CYA) or ask a friend to add a little chlorine each day.
5 - One last thought - did you do an Ahh-Some treatment yet? Even new tubs should have one done. If not, look it up or the link below. Very important.

If you found our spa/hot tub sticky and are following those notes, you should be fine. Hope that helps.

Jay397

Mar 22, 2020
Los angeles
Thank you for the info.

To further clarify the renew tabs are Potassium Peroxymonosulfate.

And yes I ordered some ahhsome already. It is on it's way. After filling the tub, chlorinating, and heating to temp I felt a scum line all around the tub before even going in the first time. I am assuming this is biofilm that was in the tub from the factory so I ordered some ahhsome.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
To further clarify the renew tabs are Potassium Peroxymonosulfate.
So that is an MPS-type prodict. Here are a couple threads on that:

You'll be thrilled to get that Ahh-Some and see the results.