New Spa Ozone Question

Mar 14, 2018
East Northport, NY
Hi all,

We've used the TFP method for our seasonal intex pool with great success the past 3 years. We are tossing our hat into the hot tub community now as well - our spa is arriving in 3 days.

We ordered a 450 gallon OC hot tub from Costco. It was pretty much the only thing we could find with covid shortages, and we just went for it lol!

I've been reading and researching TFP hot tub maintenance to try to be prepared and get off on the right foot with water balance. I just purchased a fresh TF100 kit, including bromine and have ahh-some cleaner ready to go (planning to do an initial purge).

A couple of questions:
- The tub has an ozone system (I really don't know much about it and didn't particularly want it, but again, it was the only tub we could find). I have read a few discussions that seem to suggest the ozone system causes a lot of FC loss? I would honestly rather not mess with ozone, but don't see in the manual that there is an option to turn "off" the ozone system - the manual says the ozone system runs with the filter? I'm just wondering whether anyone can give me guidance as to how to approach this problem lol.
- As mentioned above, I'm planning to complete an initial purge. Do I need to heat the water for the purge process? I don't want to waste the electric if it's not necessary (although it would probably make the process more pleasant in January weather lol)

Thank you!

I sanitize heavily with chlorine after each use to destroy the organic contaminants brought in by use. This can result in quite high cc and fc due to low water volume to bather ratio. The ozone eliminates the cc and most of the fc overnight so when I use it the next day I am not smelling chemicals from the cc or soaking in high fc. I do not need to shock, and do not even own mps. I have virtually chemical free water when I use it.
I also use nature2, a silver ion purifier, as an extra layer of protection and to combat the chlorine resistant contaminants that may enter the water.
This is the method that works for me, and has for more than a decade, but it is not popular here on TFP. It also costs a bit more than just using chlorine or bromine, but is worth it to me. You can make your own decision, but remember that neither of these eliminates the need for chemical sanitizers.

Reactions: 5tan and Mdragger88
I just purchased a fresh TF100 kit, including bromine
I have read a few discussions that seem to suggest the ozone system causes a lot of FC loss?
You mentioned bromine with the test kit and FC with the ozone. Are you planning on running bromine or chlorine in the tub?

I sanitize heavily with chlorine after each use to destroy the organic contaminants brought in by use. This can result in quite high cc and fc due to low water volume to bather ratio. The ozone eliminates the cc and most of the fc overnight so when I use it the next day I am not smelling chemicals from the cc or soaking in high fc. I do not need to shock, and do not even own mps. I have virtually chemical free water when I use it.
I also use nature2, a silver ion purifier, as an extra layer of protection and to combat the chlorine resistant contaminants that may enter the water.
This is the method that works for me, and has for more than a decade, but it is not popular here on TFP. It also costs a bit more than just using chlorine or bromine, but is worth it to me. You can make your own decision, but remember that neither of these eliminates the need for chemical sanitizers.
Thank you for your response!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.