New Spa in Ohio

Kpax755

May 11, 2020
Columbus, OH
Hi everyone. I’ve got a new hot tub (Hydropool 770) with Ozone and UV.
I’ve been able to balance the water but everyday regardless of bathers the CL goes to nearly 0. For example last night I added CL and for a reading of 6. Tonight after no bathers all day I had a CL reading of 0.
Is this normal? Could it be related to the UV?

thanks!

Both uv and ozone will burn off chlorine. That is half the point in having them and the reason some call them a "chlorine free system" even though you still need to add chlorine after each use for sanitation. By the time you next use it, the chlorine is basically gone from the water, leaving you with a "chlorine free" spa. This has lead some who do not understand the process to believe you do not need to use chlorine (or bromine) which is absolutely not true. You must use chemical sanitizers in your spa after use, and your spa must be covered when not in use or you can have problems as a result. But you can throw alot of chlorine in an ozonated spa and still have 0 chlorine the next day. That's why I love them.
Whole different story in an uncovered pool, where they are, in my opinion, a waste of money and a cause of problems.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Bad idea. Tablets drag down ph, and if (when) the floater ends up in the skimmer it releases much more than desired due to increased flow and sends concentrated low ph chlorine straight through your heater, eating it up in record time.

Ok thanks! I was reading in my owners manual and it mentions using the built in Chlorine dispenser on the tube attached to the main filter. Should I be using this instead of just dropping into the water?

Here is a pic:

1589293626913.png

Last edited:
To me, continuously feeding chlorine while continuously eliminating it with ozone is a waste of chemicals, you still need to add some after each use to counter "heavy bather load". One person in a 500 gallon spa is heavy bather load in pool terms. Manufacturers have to cover their butts by providing such measures, but they are usually unnecessary.
That is a pressure side filter and is likely downstream from the heater so that should be fine, but it still uses tablets, which are low ph. I personally prefer to use products that raise ph, like liquid chlorine, so if my balance gets a bit out from my laziness I am not doing as much damage to my equipment. However, ozone injection is a form of aeration which raises ph also, so it may be possible to strike a balance and get perfect ph all the time. That is the (unrealized) dream of every spa owner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.