New SoCal IG shotcrete pool build - equipment set, Final Inspection Passed, Pebble Done! Salt added. Back deck in process

Ahultin

Bronze Supporter
Aug 19, 2021
Bonsall, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We built our home just prior to the last real estate market collapse and while we had plans for a pool it never happened. Fast forward to today and like others we have found ourselves at home staring at our undone yard much more often. As such we started doing landscaping trees etc this year and have reached the decision to have a pool built. We tried for months to get several quotes for a pool but they are all crazy busy and only two actually showed up :(

We chose our pb and signed the contract 08-09-21 and where quoted a 3 month build time (ya, not so much, we are now 5 11 months in lol). We are doing a 15x35 freeform with raised 8' spa, baja ledge, cave/grotto and slide. Equipment is currently specified as :
2 - 11056 pentair intelliflo vsf pumps
Pentair clean and clear plus 420 filter
Intellichlor ic40
Mastertemp 400 lpg
Intellitouch control system i10ps intellicenter
5 intellibrite microbrite led lights (1 spa, 3 pool, 1 grotto)
Auto fill - with secondary sprinkler valve controlled by intellicenter
10x 4x12.5 SwimJoy pool solar panels on superstrut ground rack
Auto heater bypass
Auto solar bypass

We are planning on a pebble finish with quartscapes reflections series in Barbados blue, stonescape tahoe blue puerto rico blend, grey flagstone coping and are still working thru tile and bond beam finishes.
PB started excavation the monday following contract and that took them about a week. They are currently working on steel. In reading it appears in maybe should be asking them about adding a second skimmer as there is only one. This is in the deep end on the end of the pool that , with the exception of santa ana's, should be where the wind pushes everything.

org_3ffcd9a349ae3a00_1627430676000.jpg
org_c42833f3cd806fb3_1628793086000.jpgorg_1c4e44943152ef80_1629316658000.jpgorg_95d7bfa416b06e80_1629316948000.jpg

Last edited:
Just spoke with the pb to ask questions on the part numbers for equipment. The contract just says intellitouch but when I pressed for part number he is planning on using easytouch 4 , should I be concerned or will the et4 be sufficient for our build?

Head from the pb and our permit has been issued (they started prior, stating that they always do it this way since the first inspection is not until plumbing is complete. Plumbing was started yesterday, wow there is alot of pvc!
I have been researching the automation systems and requested the price difference to bump to intellicenter i10psic40 as it seems it will not be much and would allow for future expansion plus separating control of the 3 pool lights, grotto light and spa light
I had also requested plumbing prepped for solar heating since we are on propane and I have calculated heating the spa to be spendy and heating the pool to be just plain dumb lol. We have a low pitch on our porch roof but it only gets sun in the afternoon, the alternative would be to plan on ground mounting the panels on the slope below our house. I have been told ground mount is not ideal but it would get sun thru the day that way. Which trade off would be favorable over the other.
dji1630893378479.jpg
dji1630893378279.jpgdji1630893378115.jpg

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Pb will be here Monday as they are planning on inspection tuesday and I will ask. I was also curious if they will shoot the grotto and slide as I've read those should be de-coupled from the main pool to allow for expansion and contraction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Plumber was here today and when I asked he stated someone was coming monday before inspection to add additional Dobies and clean out the dirt that has fallen while he was plumbing so that the cage is at least 3" off of the floor and walls

I also noted today that there are only 3 returns (not including the two large ones for the water feature) two are a the spa end in the spillover wall and one over the baja shelf, does it seem like this will be sufficient?

Last edited:
separating control of the 3 pool lights, grotto light and spa light
Good call.. The grotto light needs to be on its own circuit. If you have it on without the falls going you will get a annoying light reflection on a calm pool surface. Placement of the grotto Lite should be give some thought to give proper back light to the falls. Check the link in my siggy for my attempt at grotto lighting.. :)

That is a very impressive water feature. You might consider some more up lighting for around the falls to illuminate the boulders.

Oh.. One more note on the grotto light. I also added additional blue lights in the grotto that just illuminate the back rocks. I have these on at dusk. These shine on the cave rocks so you do not get any reflection issues but give a great eerie look to the cave when the falls are off. These were not enough to back light the waterfall so I added the additional light on a separate circuit just to back light the falls when they are on.

Last edited:
You might consider some more up lighting for around the falls to illuminate the boulders.

Oh.. One more note on the grotto light. I also added additional blue lights in the grotto that just illuminate the back rocks. I have these on at dusk. These shine on the cave rocks so you do not get any reflection issues but give a great eerie look to the cave when the falls are off. These were not enough to back light the waterfall so I added the additional light on a separate circuit just to back light the falls when they are on.
Thank you, funny enough the pb gave me the "that's stupid but it's your house/your money" look when I told him I wanted the pool light separated from the grotto and spa.
Do you happen to have any photos of the interior light placement?
In regards to additional uplighting of the rocks, I am planning on at least two lights in the upper pond before the sheer fall to light the rocks above, just trying to figure out the best way to run conduit so i can pull wire once the feature is shot. I've seen a couple builds using the blue ent "smurf tube" which I thing would work, just have to figure out where to terminate it that will be accessible but hidden

G
Thank you, funny enough the pb gave me the "that's stupid but it's your house/your money" look when I told him I wanted the pool light separated from the grotto and spa.
Do you happen to have any photos of the interior light placement?
In regards to additional uplighting of the rocks, I am planning on at least two lights in the upper pond before the sheer fall to light the rocks above, just trying to figure out the best way to run conduit so i can pull wire once the feature is shot. I've seen a couple builds using the blue ent "smurf tube" which I thing would work, just have to figure out where to terminate it that will be accessible but hidden

I included a Pic of just the eerie cave back light and the rock and plant up lighting. The camera could not capture exactly what it looks like. One setting was too dim and this setting is too bright. It is not as bright as it appears in the Pic. The falls lighting was the most difficult. I have 2 - 2watt low voltage lights for the falls back light. One Is inside the grotto off to one side and the other is at the base of the boulders pointing at the side of the falls. If you shine the light directly at the back of the falls you will see the round dot of light through the falls. For your set up I would recommend putting one on either side of the falls - just behind the falls set high and pointing down. The important thing to try to accomplish is shining on the falls without pointing towards any line of site. The Pic of the 2 lights together (not sure why there are several cops of it in the post) is the grotto errie back light. These are actually fairly cheep solar lights. They came as a set of 3 hooked up to a single solar panel. I also included a Pic of the solar panels and plant light on top of the grotto. All the lights and panels are hidden from the viewing from pool and patio but can be seen when in the grotto or on top of the grotto.

IMG_20210912_180407.jpgIMG_20210912_213409.jpgIMG_20210912_180423.jpgIMG_20210912_180352.jpgIMG_20210912_180352.jpgIMG_20210912_180352.jpgIMG_20210912_180352.jpgIMG_20210912_110054.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.