New SoCal IG gunite pool build - return question before pool shell shot Saturday

Ahultin

Aug 19, 2021
Bonsall, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Passed our first inspection today but they are requiring the pb to "remove" the planter to the left of the stairs/right of the grotto. Bummer as I didnt expect the planter but the idea had grown on me after it was added lol. Pb said he is just going to make it another boulder.
Pool shell is scheduled to be shot on Saturday but I have some concern on the returns. Pool has three 1" returns (coming off a 2" line) , 1 over the baja shelf and two at the spa pushing north towards the skimmer. My concern is not having one in the grotto area. The majority of the time wind is blowing from the south to north which in my mind is going to leave a pocket of Crud in the corner of the grotto. I asked the pb about it today and he said the way they have it setup it shouldnt be an issue. Any consensus on the reality of that? Given the grottos location it will be less than fun to be scrubbing that area with a long brush and hand skimmer. Any reason to add/ not to add another return in the seating area

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
My concern is not having one in the grotto area.
I would not be the best one to respond to this for reasons..
1. I have a IFCS. So no side returns at all.
2. My prevailing winds blow debris away from the grotto.
3. My grotto is not very deep. It is just a seat behind the falls aprox 2.5' deep.

The way I skim all day is to leave only one particular zone of the IFCS on to achieve a good swirl affect. This swirl does do a good job at keeping the grotto clear with nothing in the grotto pushing out. For proper skimming creating a good swirl affect is crucial.

On a separate note. One thing I wish I had in my grotto was a way to blast pool water on the interior walls. I am not the only one who enjoys the grotto. The spiders and other assorted creatures like it as well. It would be ideal to have a hose that attached to the return system to blast the walls down every once in a while when swimming. On occasion a bit of algae does start to grow on the boulders mid summer. So a quick spray with a bleach mix and a good rinse after works well for that. So if I were to have a do over I would definitely have a dedicated return line going into the grotto. I would have it set up so I could adjust the Valves to give full pressure to this one return and be able to pop a small hose into the return. The way I do it now I need to drag my garden hose out and hook that to the pool pump. This is a extra chore so it does not get done as often as I would like. That Disney world park you have going there almost demands a few cool custom features.... :)

Last edited:

AQUA~HOLICS

In The Industry
Jul 19, 2021
Southern California
The reason for requesting so many Dobies on my jobs is that the Shotcrete crew members will be walking all over and standing on the steel cage during the application process and bending the cage towards the floor and loose the 3” clearance that is required to maintain proper Shotcrete thickness.
To answer your question regarding a return line in the Grotto I need to see a picture of the current locations of the 3 return lines already in place to see if they are capable of moving water efficiently in the Grotto area, Ray.

jetski559

Aug 20, 2020
Central Coast California
One more question for now. When talking to my PB, anything that had water slide/ rock / grotto was an instant 10-25k adder.
Was this the case for your PB? Do you care to share how much on top of the base pool price was the slide/grotto, etc? I'm just curious, because it started to seem the extras could become as much as the 'base' pool itself...

Ahultin

Aug 19, 2021
Bonsall, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
The reason for requesting so many Dobies on my jobs is that the Shotcrete crew members will be walking all over and standing on the steel cage during the application process and bending the cage towards the floor and loose the 3” clearance that is required to maintain proper Shotcrete thickness.
To answer your question regarding a return line in the Grotto I need to see a picture of the current locations of the 3 return lines already in place to see if they are capable of moving water efficiently in the Grotto area, Ray.
Screenshot_20210917-193045_Photos.jpg

Ahultin

Aug 19, 2021
Bonsall, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Looks like a fun build! No chance you have a 3D rendering of what you guys are expecting?
Keep the build thread going, can't wait to see progress!
Unfortunately no, our design is from 2007 and was hand drawn. We liked it so when we started trying to get bids they went off of this.
With the pb we went with the rock feature waterfall and slide added @20k to the build. Another PB quoted 50-75 additional for the same thing

AQUA~HOLICS

In The Industry
Jul 19, 2021
Southern California
I wrote a few notes on your picture to help explain my suggestion. Yes you need 1 more return line and I would suggest moving one of the two that are in the spa wall. Without adding a fourth return you will have a large dead spot of circulation on the opposite side of the pool. Hope this helps, Ray.

Attachments

• 21DC2611-2FD4-4A81-835F-CAD6B29D1E7B.jpeg
    21DC2611-2FD4-4A81-835F-CAD6B29D1E7B.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support