Claire Spence

May 20, 2022
Columbus, GA
Hello!

We have just bought a house and along with it, a 27,000 gallon saltwater pool with a vinyl liner. We are brand new to pools in general so any and all information is appreciated. Our pool is dark green and we have been vacuuming and scooping as much as we can. Our equipment seems to be in good working order.

Any advice on start up procedures and chemicals? I know I’ll need to get my water tested. Which parameters should I be most interested in?

Thanks!
Claire

Welcome!! Before you try to do it, stay out of the pool store!! Their only response it to sell you something that you probably don't need.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that way for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™ and at least include the XL Option . That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF-100 Test Kit ™ has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Until you get your kit, each day I want you to put one bottle of bleach (yes, the same stuff you use for laundry) in the pool with the filter running. Be careful, it needs to be plain bleach, no scents, no EZ-Pour and none of the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas. If it's turned on, turn off teh salt water chlorine generator. It doesn't make enough chlorine to help at this point. If you have no idea what this devise is, shout out - one of us will explain.

Continue brushing and running the filter, cleaning the filter as necessary.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Reactions: Northern cannonball
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.