New saltwater pool

I added some powdered CYA yesterday afternoon. And that got me to a reading of 20 today. Should I wait longer before adding more? I have read that the powdered readings can lag behind but I have no idea by how much.

=====================================
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 13200 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 1.0 (18 minutes ago)
CC: 0.5 (18 minutes ago)
pH: 7.5 (18 minutes ago)
TA: 175 (14 hours ago)
CH: 150 (18 minutes ago)
CYA: 20 (18 minutes ago)
SALT: 2800 (18 minutes ago)
TEMPERATURE: 81° (18 minutes ago)
CSI: -0.17 (18 minutes ago)
==========================================

I added some powdered CYA yesterday afternoon. And that got me to a reading of 20 today. Should I wait longer before adding more? I have read that the powdered readings can lag behind but I have no idea by how much.

=====================================
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 13200 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 1.0 (18 minutes ago)
CC: 0.5 (18 minutes ago)
pH: 7.5 (18 minutes ago)
TA: 175 (14 hours ago)
CH: 150 (18 minutes ago)
CYA: 20 (18 minutes ago)
SALT: 2800 (18 minutes ago)
TEMPERATURE: 81° (18 minutes ago)
CSI: -0.17 (18 minutes ago)
==========================================
What did you target? Unless you have reason to suspect different, that's what it will end up. I, personally wouldn't bother testing CYA for at least 24 hours after it was all dissolved.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did you add the CYA granules? You are targeting 60 ppm. So a lot of it is not dissolved.

I put it in a paint strainer type mesh bag and put it in the skimmers in smallish batches.

Edit to add I did not want to chance leaving the strainers in overnight so I emptied out the little that was left into the skimmer baskets. There is none visible in the baskets or the pump basket.

I was told at the pool store that it could stay in the filter for 72 hours so not to clean it.

Agree with Jim on the FC -- add liquid chlorine now.

If you have added 60 ppm worth of CYA, treat the pool as if it is in the water. Test it in a few days.

Also safe to turn the salt cell in at this point or still wait?
As long as your salt is well mixed in, turn the SWCG on. Set it to create 3 ppm FC per day and test daily to see if it is managing it. Raise your FC to target level now for the CYA in the pool using liquid chlorine.

Reactions: johnm160
FC now sitting at 3.5 until I see what my cya level is tomorrow.

How often does the system (Haywood aqua rite t15) sample the salt level? I turned it on briefly Thursday night to che k salt level and it was 2800. I shut it down and added another 40 lb bag. I just turned the system back on and it still says 2800.

Do not add salt based on the SWCG readout. Use your salinity test kit. If you do not have one, you want one where you live.

Raise your FC using liquid chlorine to target level for the final CYA.

Reactions: johnm160

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.