New saltwater pool owner.... help!

Niclp12

Jun 16, 2016
Williamson, Ga
Hello all! We just moved into a home with an inground saltwater pool. The previous owner left the pool to us with algae and it’s been cloudy. I know absolutely nothing about the pool 😭😭😭 it’s a weird shape so i don’t even know how to calculate how many gallons it is to begin with. I do know I have a Hayward pro series sand filter & circupool RJ-45 SWCG. Currently the salt water reading is 3150ppm. Chlorine level is high I do know that bc I have turned the SWCG off yesterday and poured in a couple gallons of the liquid chlorine to try and fight off this mustard algae. PH is reading 7.8. I have been backwashing and rinsing as well as scrubbing and vacuuming. It’s been like this for a week now. I’m clueless and don’t know what to do! Any help is greatly appreciated. I have attached a couple photos of the test kit I have on hand and the pool.

Attachments

Niclp12

Jun 16, 2016
Williamson, Ga
Thank you! So I am allowed to do the SLAM process with it being a saltwater pool correct? Would I need to keep the SWCG off during this time? Also, how do you calculate how many gallons your pool is when it’s not your standard shape?

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
Yes, a SLAM works fine regardless of how a pool is chlorinated. You should keep the SWCG off during a SLAM, just dose it with bleach/liquid chlorine. You should break down the pool into multiple shapes. If it is curvy, use circles and math to get the surface dimensions then add a depth to each area. You can do this for several, say 3-5 areas of the pool, and add them together. Or to simplify the math, draw out your pool and make it into several rectangles using your mind’s eye to get approximate surface area. Then again add a depth to each section. Then multiply by the factor, which I currently forget.

There is also an article in pool school that I’ll try to find.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
You can follow the SLAM Process. Saltwater has nothing to do with it.
We do recommend leaving the SWCG off during a SLAM process.

Sketch out the dimensions and shallow / deep end depths.