New pump, no power at controller

aaronbru

Jul 4, 2019
Coventry, RI
Hi all,
My new here, posting for a family member with a new pool.

We have a Hayward Super Pump VS, 230V power has been verified at the pump on the incoming power terminals, installed my an electrician.

We plugged in the RS452 connector from the pump PCB to the controller mounting plate, and another plug that goes from the controller mounting plate to the controller.

There is no power at the controller. The screen doesn’t light up, no sign of the pump actually having power (besides verifying voltage at terminals). I have not found any 12v power at the controller.

Any help is appreciated.

Aaron,

Please confirm what it is that you are trying to do.. Pics would help.

Are you trying to connect the pump to a wall mounted control pad, or a Hayward automation system, or ???

Before you connected the RS-485 cable, did the pump's control panel power up ok?

How did you test the incoming AC power? Did you test between L1 and L2 and get 240 volts, or did you test between L1 and ground and L2 to ground?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, thanks for your response. Happy 4th!

This is a new install. Goal is to run the pump. We have no display on the control board.

We are trying to control the pump by the control board in the photo.

The control panel has no display when disconnected from the RS 485 and no display when connected to the RS 485 port. The pumps control panel does have a small CR1225 battery. Does that power the control panel?

I tested incoming power at L1 L2 and ground.
L1-L2 = 230v
L1-Gr = 120v
L2-Gr = 120V

Thanks again!

Attachments

• AFDB2E8C-3B11-4238-ACE2-2B9B5B512436.jpeg
    AFDB2E8C-3B11-4238-ACE2-2B9B5B512436.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 1442F93C-165A-42BF-BAB9-D463087BECFC.jpeg
    1442F93C-165A-42BF-BAB9-D463087BECFC.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 19
  • CF763C03-4158-4430-B1CA-3A946502B98C.jpeg
    CF763C03-4158-4430-B1CA-3A946502B98C.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 25
Do you have 12 volts at the pump rs485 connector?

Attachments

• super-pump-vs-S2603VSP.pdf.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 16
No voltage at any of the four RS 485 pins.
Thank you for informing on the batteries purpose. I did remove the battery and check for voltage. I got no voltage reading on the battery as well.

Currently suspect that maybe the volt meter doesn’t like DC. Checking that now...

When that pump is put into controller mode (dip #1 off), the local pump panel no longer operates. You have to use the main controller display instead.

Aaron,

I am not a Hayward guy, I was just trying to get the ball rolling.. :)

Why were you having to connect anything? Seems to me all you needed to do was wire to 240 and the control head should turn on???

As a side note, and I have no idea if it is an issue or not, but I did notice that the manual shows the S200 dip switches as all off except #1.. I see you have #1 and 2 on...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Do you have a picture of the whole pump, pump label and motor label?

Did the controller come with the pump or did you buy it separately?

What is the controller part number?

I suspect that you have a TriStar VS SP3200VSPND, which can communicate with and be controlled by Hayward automation systems, such as ProLogic or OnCommand controllers.

The SP3200VSPND does not have a control interface on the pump and a control interface cannot be installed on this model.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The RS 485 connector was on up side down. The wires were all cross-crossed.

So dumb user error. And the volt meter was not reading DC. So that’s where the wild goose chase started and I got here...

Thanks everyone for your help! I’m amazed with the support available here!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.