New Pump Needed

roundhay

Jun 20, 2014
NJ
Our old pump has suddenly got very loud so i'm going to replace it. I was going to a company to do it but for pumps that cost $400 or $500 they want to charge close to $1,000. We have a simple set up and the wiring is easy to get to so I've decided to do it myself. I'd liek some advice on pumps to consider.
I want a variable speed pump. We currently have a 1.5hp Jacuzzi 15UF-S with a A.O.Smith Motor, I think the motor is a P56J.
The pump is running on 220V
The pool is 20,000 gallons.
We have a sand filter system which is also, Jacuzzi, I think it is a Lazer Sand Filter.
I’m also thinking of fitting a chlorine generator but might do this later in the summer when I have some time.
What pumps and chlorine generators should I consider?

Thanks

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Plumbing a new pump in should be trivial. You probably don't need a 1.5 HP pump (just a 1 HP) but I'll let others chime in on this. Just pay careful attention to the wiring - a 220v motor is wired very differently than a 110v pump. The pump may or (probably) may not come with any wiring information. The internet is your friend (as it this forum)!

Vickery

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2009
Perfection, NC
I had a 14K abv with a Jacuzzi pump and Lazer. After flooding, I replaced it with a 3/4 hp and it was more than enough. I tried an Intex swcg which worked well, but didn't last long. I moved up to a CircuPool and have been very happy with it. I moved the CircuPool to our new house and changed out a Pentair Superflo to a Speck91A vs 1.1hp. 120/240 Volt, self detecting - it doesn't care which. Came with a 120vac plug but an easy change to 240 hardwired. Sweet and easy!