New Pump Leaking

Jul 16, 2010
Newark, DE
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I recently purchased our first A/G pool and we are extremely happy with it but are somewhat disappointed after discovering our pool pump has a leak only after having the pool installed in July :grrrr:

I discovered a puddle of water on the base platform underneath the pool pump. After investigating, I noticed a droplet of water coming from where the silver colored motor pump shaft goes into a mechanical seal. This leak only occurs when the pump is running!

How should I handle this issue with "NAMCO" the pool company? Should I request they exchange the pump for a new one? Do I supply them with photos? The warrenty states "The pump and motor are warranted to be free from defects for (12) months from the date originally installed". We had the pool installed a month and a half ago :grrrr:

Oh gosh, I know how aggravating this is . . why not give Namco a call first and talk to a manager to see what steps need to be taken. Our Namco here had given us a list of independent pool installers as suggestions to pick from when we purchased our previous pool from them, so it wasn't actually Namco that did the install - is that how it works in your state? I know for me when something new doesn't work, I want the pos taken out and a brand new one put back in it's place, but if the problem is a minor one such as the installer didn't tighten something enough, then I'd be willing to keep it. I don't know enough about pumps to know if it's a defect or an installer issue . .

Let us know how you make out,
Jan

Call the dealer and most likely they'll take care of it. However your issue is really with the pump mfg.

It sounds like the shaft seal is leaking and if they decide to replace just the seal don't worry about it. No need to replace the entire pump for just a seal leak. Most of the time it's just easier and cheaper on the mfg to replace the entire pump than to pay someone to replace the seal.

Let us know how it turns out.

did the pool happen to run at all while pool was low on water? It Could be a pine needle or something stuck in the spring of the shaft seal..

... It happened to me this year, i replaced a seal last aug, the guy called me this past june because it was leaking again...not even a year old.. He was angry.. and so was i lol. BUt i swapped the seal, didnt charge him and then he was a happy fella. Wasnt my fault it was leaking, but i knew charging him wasnt going to make it any better for him...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.